Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do & JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eardrums are not for beating

I was reading the post about cauliflower ear and started to reply before I decided this was more of a new post..

I've been lucky enough to avoid cauliflower ear. Usually what happens to me is I bust an eardrum. My right ear had a tumor when I was young and I lost permanent hearing and my eardrum, so it's basically a hollow cavity. No problem there.

Since my left ear has to make up the difference, however, it is extremely sensitive. I think I've busted it three times sparring, once water skiing and once in a street fight. Once I was even wearing headgear. The last time it happened it took awhile to heal. The doctor said it's basically just a membrane of scar tissue anymore.

I've been thinking about investing in one of those wrestling headgear or wear an earplug under my regular headgear to keeps the air from being compressed into the canal. I remember a guy who used to wear wrestling headgear but I never asked him about it.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on it? I have accepted that I'll be hard of hearing one day, but my concern is that one day I'll bust my eardrum and it just won't heal.

cya

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 8:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira Regional

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you definitely want to take care of that ear. Even the 'hollow cavity' one. Ears are also balance, and a good strike to the ear will compromise that, even without popping the eardrum. This is a common strike in capoeira regional, so we learn to not expose the ear much.

Banned for failing to live up to the standards he expected of others and wasting more time on calling out forum military members' credentials than he spent in his own military career.

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 2:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bulldogging

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For Gods sake get some kind of specialized protection, Go and see a Ear Docter in Oklahoma City or Norman, Someone who knows atheletes. Spend whatever amount of money it takes to protect your remaining ear drum.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 5:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And sweet jesus, stay away from cue-tips.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 9:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do & JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha. I actually have a pretty good ear doctor who has been taking care of my bad ear since I was a little kid. I see him every six months.

As far as the "good" ear, I just was asking if anyone else has had experience wearing the wrestling headgear to see how they are about protecting the ears against air being funneled into the ear canal in a direct blow.

Of course, the easy answer is not to get hit in the head and I'm pretty good about protecting it, but that's easier said than done in our sport, since it's one of the top two target areas.

Anyways, thanks for the posts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 3:13pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The wrestling headgear will help protect you since the air holes are generally around the ear and not directly over it and you'd need to have someone with some HUGE meathooks the compress the air pressure on those to affect your ear.

On the topic of wearing earplugs, or earplug on your good ear. I've always heard that is a bad idea, so I'd definitely ask an ENT doctor before I did that.