Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:30am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt
    Sounds like fun

If you include strikes on the ground you will find that there are many more oportunitites for wrist locks, just applying one "raw" is about 3 times harder than after a good strike or two depending on where you've hit .

Actually if your just grappling on the ground ( no strikes) and believing that its real then your in for a HUGE shock because lifes not like that.

In jujutsu techniques the standard application of a wrist lock is usually done after a kick to the nuts or a backfist to the temple. So that the other person is some what distracted from the moment.

Also don't use gloves if you want to train MA for self defence just go a little slower and train with people you trust
    Thanks for the advice, but I do not train for self defense. I train to fight in competitions. If I get attacked in real life, I probably did something to deserve an ass beating. Otherwise I'm sure my friends/bouncer/weapon/etc will help me out.

I'm taking a step by step approach and really just screwing around. Step one, learn to effectively leverage wrist locks while on the ground or knees. Step two, learn to leverage standing, then maybe if we feel like it, learn to leverage them with striking. The thing is, why wristlock someone on the ground if you can punch them? If I'm in a position on the ground to strike, why bother with a wrist lock, just keep striking. If I'm in a position on the ground where I'm getting struck, my first priority should be a sweep to get out of that position and back into a dominate position. In the first situation, a wristlock wouldn't be my choice. In the second, a wrist lock might help the sweep, but I would need to work up to it, and be able to do it with one hand (to prevent being struck with the other hand). So to do this in an alive enviroment, i'm going to have to build up to it.

If I can't wrist lock a guy when he's just trying to grab me, I'm not going to be able to wrist lock a guy trying to punch me in the face. Further more, the only time I'm going to be in a situation where someone wants to hit me, and is legally allowed to hit me, he is going to have taped hands, and gloves. So I would want to train with taped hands and gloves. In a street fight, i'm going to attempt to create distance and escape first and formost. That might mean a wrist lock, or striking, or ground fighting, but my real goal would be to be far enough away that none of that is an option. But again, I really have no intrest in hand to hand combat for self defense. I'd much rather have a gun/taser/etc.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 8:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, why wristlock someone on the ground if you can punch them?
    The theory I'm familiar with is to break the wrist to prevent them from using that hand effectively.

But again, I really have no intrest in hand to hand combat for self defense. I'd much rather have a gun/taser/etc.
    Excellent point, but it's always good to have something to fall back on - and BJJ/Judo would certainly qualify in my book.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 9:35am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I agree that there is a self defense benefit to my training. I'm sure doing bjj, boxing, judo, etc helps you defend yourself. I just don't pay much attention to it. I'm not that guy who always asks "How do I do this on the street?".

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 9:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotcha.

Speaking of that guy, I went to Phil Elmore's site yesterday. I've never been and I thought it was something I should do at least once. Wow, what a character. He claims repeatedly not to be an expert, but then has a book out with paladin press about using a small flashlight like a kubaton/yawara. What a strange bird...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 5:01pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot

Gem #1: "If I've landed a nutshot or a backfist to the temple I either:

A) Have won

or

B) Have not won, requiring further use of technique that DOES NOT FUCKING SUCK

Gem #2: I suppose if they happen to actually be FIGHTING and not STRETCHING OUT THEIR NECK SO YOU CAN LEASURELY STRIKE AT IT...then you can just fly away, right?
    LOL Single Backfist FTW!!!

I hit guys with backfists and they never even flinched. I have kicked guys in the nuts and all they did was grunt. Man have you ever been in a fight? You sound like your 7.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567