Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    edit- yeah, what he said too. I gotta type faster.

No. Don't maintain "PL workouts" (unless you mean a typical 5x5 or something) Damn sure don't add additional training on top of working out & your MA training. Work out correctly for your end goal, get lots of rest, eat clean.

This is paraphrased from Starting Strength. Buy it, read it, love it. There's a fundamental problem with PL training and the goal of sport conditioning. The PL focus is on moving a very heavy weight slowly. This isn't what we want. You are not training to increase your squat 1rm, you are training to get stronger for better sport performance. This requires weights 50%-75% of your one rep max moved very quickly. Think the olympic-style, fast explosive movement.

Would you like to know more?
    Buy starting strength NOW. While you wait on the express overnight shipping from amazon, read these two articles I got from google.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat16.htm
    http://westside-barbell.com/Articles...20Strength.pdf
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 8:00pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theres a difference between PLing and training for absolute strength. If you mean PLing as in the competitive form then you are not so much training for full body absolute strength as you are to get better at deadlifting, benching, and squating.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just use the big three as a reference point for where I am. I do not compete, just lift heavy and try to get the total up. But I also try to get all my big lifts up like overhead press and rows also, I am not fixated on the "3".

How do you train for full body absolute strength, isn't PL'ing one way to do that?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    How do you train for full body absolute strength, isn't PL'ing one way to do that?
    yes. but it's only a part of what you need. The other part is the explosiveness - recruiting your muscles all at once for bursts of power. Westside's PL stuff does this, but a lot of people skip it or don't want to spend the time. OLY lifting is another place that works this, and again not many out there doing it.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started practicing Snatch and Jerk for technique. I will start trying cleans too. But Andrew L. said PL didn't develop absolute strength, which I thought it did.

on a side note I think I finally started to get the whole popping out the hips on the olys, the second pull I think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 7:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just use the big three as a reference point for where I am. I do not compete, just lift heavy and try to get the total up. But I also try to get all my big lifts up like overhead press and rows also, I am not fixated on the "3".

I assumed you probably werent focusing solely on the three comp lifts. Just wanted to be clear on the matter.

You train basically how I do then. I mix it up from time to time with some endurance stuff ,but generally I focus on increasing my low rep strength on all my lifts.

You might want to try some strongman stuff. There are people here who know alot more about that than I do though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 7:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started practicing Snatch and Jerk for technique. I will start trying cleans too. But Andrew L. said PL didn't develop absolute strength, which I thought it did.

on a side note I think I finally started to get the whole popping out the hips on the olys, the second pull I think.
    Thats not what I meant. I meant you dont have to do PL type routines to increase your absolute strength for all your muscles. Also noting that for PLing the main goal is to increase your strength for 3 specific lifts , which has alot to do with good technique besides just strength. In other words while PL routines are a great way to increase your strength their are other routines which will be better suited for general strength (less specific to the 3 main lifts) such as strongman stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 7:57pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Power lifting (true power lifting that is) is something you have to do almost exclusively because of the strain it will put on your body. That is why you should wait 10 to 15 minutes between sets. It is a full time commitment.

Tell us what your "power lifting" routine is first. How much rest you take between sets and so on. I have a funny feeling as someone else previously stated if you are looking to add barbell complexes then what you are currently doing is not true power lifting.

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well GIJoe isn't following up so I am, I don't want to add complexes but whatever I assume he's lifting like I am( being we are brothers and such).

I was lifting 3x a week. Bench Overhead Bench
    Squat Deadlift Squat
    Row Row

That was the main focus, then I would do some other work like Incline, Pushpress, CGBP, front squat, or pullups. Really just depended on what I felt like. I usually lifted in 4-6 and sometimes went for singles or doubles. 3-4 minutes in between sets.

I now plan on going down to 2 days a week like that, one day on olys, and I have already started doing some bodyweight stuff.

Not true PL but all the information I was getting was from PL stuff, focus on compounds, go heavy, take some time to rest, blah, blah...

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 12:52am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My routine consists of Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press(main focus) then Power Cleans and Rows, Overhead Presses and sometimes random **** thrown into to mix it up.

I switched to a full body routine now as of Tuesday. Deadlift, Power Clean, Bench, Squat.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast