• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 1:15am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Barbell Complexes & Overtraining

I just read about barbell complexes and was wondering if I should do them while still doing other types of training. I want to focus on powerlifting but add these in for conditioning. Since I wouldnt be using massive amounts of weight as if I were Deadlifting, could I do a complex in the morning 3x a week and still be able to powerlift 2-3x at night?

Would I just have to make sure I get plenty of sleep and food to make sure I dont overtrain and Ill be fine? I ask about the overtraining thing too though because from what I see its almost impossible for people to do. UFC fighters train for hours a day and they seem to be fine with it.

Thoughts?

EDIT : Im thinking I could save much more time by doing the complexes in the morning outside before school and then hitting the gym for powerlifting at night.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 8:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anybody do complexes? I just started adding in pullups/pushups and some other bodyweight stuff to get in some conditioning. Prior I was only focusing on PL but I'm reaching my goals so I figure its time to start conditioning.

I figure mantain my powerlifts and now focus on bodyweight/plyos/olys?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm thinking that if you're really lifting hard like a powerlifter this will push you into overtraining. Since you're considering this, you probably aren't training hard enough, no offence intended.

Those fighter training shows aren't the whole story. They're highly conditoned athletes doing a last push before a fight. You don't see them getting 10 hours of rest plus a two hour nap every day. Besides, powerlifting isn't the best strength training for MA.

Why you worried about time anyway?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 6:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, since we sometmes train together no we don't train as hard as we can for powerlifting, at least I don't and pretty sure he isn't. That's because we need time for other stuff like MA and masturbating.

Since you say its not great for MA(the PLing) what do you think of this: I want my PL to be 315/405/495 for bench/squat/dead. Seems strong enough and then mantain those lifts and put my energy into bodyweight conditioning and/or olys and/or plyos. That type of junk.

The powerlifting I believe works on building absolute strength, so it can't be that bad to be good at it as absolute strength is the limiting factor for other types of strength like speed strength and such, right?

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you'll never be able to recover as quick as UFC fighters cuz they all be on da crack fo fighters: XYIENCE!!!

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where can I find the Barbell complexes you are talking about?

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 11:40pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a power clean, then an push press, then a OH squat, then a curl negative, and that's a basic complex. Repeat for reps. Lighter weight than needed for any of these exercises, work the whole body quickly.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are almost guaranteed to overtrain if you are lifting heavy for PL and try to add barbell complexes. Plus hard MA training? No fucking way imo.

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 1:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK weel what about like I said, mantain the PL's and then work on the other stuff? Bodyweight or olys?

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/28/2006 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think PL and MA training mix at all. Maybe if your MA training consisted of really light drill, no sparring or rolling. Do that for a while to build strength, then complexes and hard MA training before a tournament.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast