Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 2:49am

Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

island jiu jitsu?

ok... so I saw some instructionals on youtube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=islandjiujitsu and the techniques in the videos seem alright to show beginners but on the site www.islandjiujitsu.com they have a list of "highlight" videos where the instructors are doing all sorts of wacky spinning kick/board breaking/possibly mcdojo type stuff. To me it looks like they are teaching grappling without setups and possibly without intensive rolling. Anybody ever hear about them and know if they are a mcdojo?

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 4:08am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched the videos on youtube and they looked like BJJ - kind of. If you look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8Jz...elated&search= you can see that his kimura is done with only the arm power. The way I learned it, you use your whole body to do that to the guy's arm so you could actually overpower his arm strength. Also, on the 2006 pictures on the actual website I saw some bullshit wristlock.

I'm not gonna say its Bullshido, but if I had to put money on something, I'd say the guy in the ski cap went to a BJJ seminar and tried to make a course out of that. Of course, I'm just a noob to BJJ so that could just be a bad interpretation.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 6:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWombat
    I watched the videos on youtube and they looked like BJJ - kind of. If you look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8Jz...elated&search= you can see that his kimura is done with only the arm power. The way I learned it, you use your whole body to do that to the guy's arm so you could actually overpower his arm strength. Also, on the 2006 pictures on the actual website I saw some bullshit wristlock.

I'm not gonna say its Bullshido, but if I had to put money on something, I'd say the guy in the ski cap went to a BJJ seminar and tried to make a course out of that. Of course, I'm just a noob to BJJ so that could just be a bad interpretation.
    Probably so. The owner of the school where I teach (yeah I know) TKD said that she would pay for my entry $500 to a MA school owners seminar. I was talking about starting BJJ ( I just started doing it 2 weeks ago , taking BJJ that is) and she told me....for $1500 bucks you can take a course in BJJ and they will certify you as a BJJ instructor. No kidding.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For $3000 and your soul, my master, uh, I mean, I will give you a black belt.

I went to the site and there's a pic of what seems to be Royce doing a seminar at that school in '94, so they've been dealing with at least some real BJJ for over a decade, I'm thinking probably not bullshido.

Later, unidentified BJJ black belt shows up.

Amusingly, I am more appreciative of the fact that I don't have cross-eyes, or a disproportionately small head after looking at those pics.
    Last edited by Roidie McDouchebag; 11/25/2006 8:33am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 2:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    I'll do it for just your soul

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 4:32pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually cracky i think the mullet makes his head look smaller than it really is.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 6:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think his lack of a jawline makes his head look as small as it is. Also, you can watch the cross-eyed guy go from comically funny looking to...differently comically funny looking if you look at all the pics on the site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 6:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They probably aren't bullshido. They do some TKDish flashy kick moves, but I also saw a decent few legit takedowns (seio nage, osoto gari, aishi guruma (i think)), some armbars and triangles, it looks like they spar with a decent ammount of contact (more than your usually jjj place anyways) plus I got to give them props because in one of the instructor videos, it looks like the instructor pulls X-guard from standing to x guard sweep. I also saw a few aikidoish looking takedowns and wrist locks, but I have no experience with them, so I can't say too much stuff on that.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    My soul is dirty and tattered from years of abuse. You may not want it...how about we compromise at $2000?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 10:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast