Page 5 of 5 First 12345

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    KFSS has a point. This is pyrrhic victory type of technique. Running away or climbing a tree are much better initial options. Also I believe a pitbull has the jaw strength to completely sever your fingers on the way past his teeth so I wouldn't recommend trying this on one.

Almost twenty years after the last incident, I can still identify at least two scars on my fingers from the dogs' teeth. Again, running or climbing to get away should always be your first chioces when faced with a determined canine attacker.
    Here on Hawaii, most dog attacks seem to come from pit bulls. Well, stupid dogs for stupid people.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally own a sjambok and a telescopic baton. Both of those work great against dogs and beggars. Especially the sjambok is an oft under-rated SD tool.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After my run in with the junkyard dog at the railroad tracks, I started carrying a sjambok when I backpack. I carry the old 36 inch Cold Steel one strapped into the frame so I can draw it from over my right shoulder diagonally. I have the 54 inch model but its a bit too big to carry in the same method. I don't know if I'd call it underrated- its a long weapon that requires training and isn't useful for non fighting purposes (like a cane, belt, bandana or knife). Its a good weapon but difficult to carry. I made a version that worked like a sword cane a few years ago for fun, but I never really carried it around.
    The comment about dogs and beggars was unsettling.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345