Posted On:
    11/24/2006 12:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fighting Arts Combative

Hey folks,
    Does anyone have any insight on Shawn Zirger and the Fighting Arts Combative Training school located at Ossington/Dupont? Although, I may have my opinions on Paul Vunak, it appears that Shawn Zirger was given his "Master" status by Paul Vunak. Despite my opinions, can anyone else shed some light on this school's credentials and of Shawn Zirger. I am sure that he may be skilled after the many years of experience under his belt, but sometimes, that experience is very deceiving when it comes to play in the martial world.
    Cheers!

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 1:01pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    search function

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 1:39pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    search function
    uh, perhaps its worth doing a quick search function yourself real quick before stating this?
    because i did a search, came up empty...except for one post mentioning the above mentioned name

JKDchick! are u reading this? hope u have some info?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 9:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train out of that school. What would you like to know? Are you looking to train there or are you just interested in his JKD lineage?

As far as I know his lineage is under Makoto Kabayama; who is senior instructor under Vunak. I have known him for a couple of years and as a fighter he is extremly good (if not a little lazy) and as a teacher he is effective (given his audience). There tends to be a fair mix of hand and stick work. He does not teach really teach ground work (there is a catch intsructor that does classes once a week).

Hope this helps

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Shovel,
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I was inquiring because Zirger's name came up in a conversation and I was inquiring as to his credentials and his teaching ability. As you may already know, there are many not so credible schools out there, not that I am suggesting anything of that sort because I know nothing of him nor his school. Since you'v been his student/still are, perhaps you can shed some light on his teachings. In other words, is it strictly JKD concepts, or has he evolved into a more hybrid art for todays practicality?
    Cheers!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 4:59pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dark Angel,

Have you sent an email to the club simply asking them? Usually the first step in determining someones credentials is to ask them directly.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 5:04pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahh....so its the same facility as your catch class eh shovel?
    only once a week? what day would that be?

DarkAngel919 - dunno if shovel actually trains with the instructor in question. I hadn't heard him mention it when i met him at the TO throwdown

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2006 10:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Guys,

I have been having problems trying to post. I have written two lengthy responses bot of which I could not post. So I will keep this one short.

DarkAngel919 I have no idea how to answer your question. What do you mean by JKD concepts? If you are asking if Shawn sticks to a strict cirriculum based on Bruce/Inasanto techniques...then the answer is no...

The best way to answer your question would be to call/email him or even better stop by and talk/train with him....

I will give you specifics on class structure and techniques if you would like but I am not sure that will answer your question.

Basically Shawn will teach what ever we want to know....from dealing with an opponent who is using a lot of forward presure or one who is shooting for a take down.... There is not a lot of rigidity to his teaching style (meaning he never says this is the "best" way to deal with something...)

Hope this helps...if you want more just let me know.