Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2006 1:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

which gripper is right for me?

I'm looking at the ironmind captains of crush ones but I'm hesitant to order cause I cant try em out at the store because they seem to be only available online. If anyone here trains with ironmind tell me which ones I should buy given the following stats about myself.

-I dont have particulary large hands or wrists and I only weigh 140lbs
    -I DO have relateively big forearms for my size that are hard as rocks
    -"Normal" handgripes (ex lifegear) are like absolutely nothing for me (I close about 50 reps before getting bored)
    -I deadlift 250 lbs without support straps and my back gives out before my grip/forearms do.

I'm looking for a pair of grippers I can close for 6-10 reps and no more than 15

Posted On:
    11/23/2006 5:42pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start with a Ironmind Trainer. Most commercial grips are a joke and the trainer will give you a chance to accurately gauge your grip strength. If it's no problem (you can close it 20 times or more), then you can head up to the No. 1. If you can't hit that many reps, you can work the trainer.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2006 10:44pm

Style: TKD, uber BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd start with the #1 and #2 personally, that what I did, I couldn't even get the #1 parellel, within 2 weeks of casual use I was able to close it, it really helps to advance having a harder gripper to do negatives.

I'm 6'3" and 160, so I'm pretty scrawny myself. A pair? You only buy store grippers in the pairs :P At least go with the trainer and #1 if you're getting some.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/23/2006 10:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with the T,1,2. WHen I first got the T I could close it a few times and at the time had a double overhand deadlift of 315 for 10 reps. But the 1 came quickly so it may be a learning curve.

I wouldn't buy the new "1/2" versions unless you have money to kill. Start with a T and 1. I still use the T to warm up my hands before using the 1 and now my attempts on the 2.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 7:43pm

Style: VU TAH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard that the best thing is to start with the lower level. When you can close one 12 concequtive times, than move one to the next one.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a 5X5 method on the grippers. Get the T, 1 and 2. Those will last you a long while.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were you I definitely wouldn't go lower than a #1. I don't have thick forearms but have been finding the one right below the #1, I forgot the name, a little too easy a little too quick.

Although I suppose you could use it for warm-ups and such.

*edit* Sorry, I didn't see how that this thread was a month or so old. I imagine that you've purchased your grippers by now.
    Last edited by goosetherumfoodle; 12/14/2006 9:27am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kraker, before you consider buying a "captain of crush", have you considered using your normal handgripper as follows?:

A - closing it against the palm of your hand with index and middle fingers only (no thumb)
    B - closing it with the thumb against the index and middle fingers.
    C - closing it against the palm of your hand with the pinky and ring fingers only (no thumb)

I'm in the same situation as you. I can close my pedestrian handgrip until the cows come home, but I can only do 8 reps of A, and about 5 of B. For C, I can only do one, and after that, I have to my other hand to close it and then use it for negative reps.

I'm not sure if this it's a better approach, not sure if it's even a reasonable one, but (at least for me), I'd like to see how much gains I can make with the gripping variations I just mentioned before going for a captain'crush - nothing against them, just one of the experiments I'm currently doing :)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris