Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 11:46am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Superman Punch

GSP versus Hughes reminded me of this. It looks like the superman punch is evolving from an improvised haymaker into a real technique. I know a couple of techniques like this, but they aren't exactly the same.

Basically, I'm interested in where it fits in and how it works. Anybody actually worked with it formally, as opposed to just chucking it in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 11:49am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too me it looks like something you use if your leg kicks are effective. Pepper your oppent with a few hard leg kicks... then fake one to get him to drop his guard and follow with the superman punch.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I execute it is a little different. Instead of throwing it from a fake round kick, I go off a fake front kick, then kick the same leg straight back behind me, shifting the upper body forward for power. The punch travels more or less in a straight line. You get lots of forward momentum into it. I arrived at this variation after modifying an elbow technique where you spear into the head with the point of the elbow from a similar setup.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not really "evolving from an improvised haymaker"; it's been a real and recognized technique in Muay Thai for quite a while now. It's called a "cobra punch", if I recall correctly. Slyderm has the idea of how it's set up - the leg comes forward, then shoots back as your upper body comes forward with the punch. The leg coming forward is a fake for a round kick, push kick, or knee, depending on how you move the leg and what you've been leading him into expecting.

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 12:53pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Too me it looks like something you use if your leg kicks are effective. Pepper your oppent with a few hard leg kicks... then fake one to get him to drop his guard and follow with the superman punch.
    if the person your fighting is worth their salt they wont drop their guard to go "looking" to block a leg kick. They are either conditioned enough to take them, or they can check the kick efectively. so most wont drop their guard if you 'fake' a kick,

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 12:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    It's not really "evolving from an improvised haymaker"; it's been a real and recognized technique in Muay Thai for quite a while now. It's called a "cobra punch", if I recall correctly. Slyderm has the idea of how it's set up - the leg comes forward, then shoots back as your upper body comes forward with the punch. The leg coming forward is a fake for a round kick, push kick, or knee, depending on how you move the leg and what you've been leading him into expecting.

Beat me to it. Yeah this punch has been around forever. We have two variations one we now call the "superman punch" which is the straighter version and the other we call "death from above" which is more of a jump with an over hand.

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 10:10pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can somebody provide a clip or picture?

I'm curious as to form as I haven't seen it much. Or maybe I just haven't been looking out for it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GSP vs hughes 2, he drops him with one at the end of the first round. also pretty much any highlight video of mike zambidis

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 10:46pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Beat me to it. Yeah this punch has been around forever. We have two variations one we now call the "superman punch" which is the straighter version and the other we call "death from above" which is more of a jump with an over hand.
    I'm familiar with the straight one. I'm thinking more of the jump and overhand.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/23/2006 5:58pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to start consciously working on that punch.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast