Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 8:45am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Kyokushin pussified?

I'm having a problem recently: I'm starting to feel less and less empathy for Kyokushin. It started when I saw this Combat Academy in Copenhagen offering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but in fact it also offers Muay Thai (and since I want to practice more than one martial arts this is very efficient: Afterall, then it'll be fit perfectly so that I can practice both).

My problems are that:
    1) Recently I feel that Kyokushin is turning more and more pussified, and it totally doesn't help that Shokei Matsui, the leader of IKO1, is a fucking coward, if you watch his 100-man Kumite you'll see that he breaks just about every fucking rule and 'honorary code' of Kyokushin. This way the man who was supposed to further Kyokushin? I think not.
    2) I'm a person who likes tournaments (full-contact), but full-contact tournaments just seem to be way more prevalent amongst western martial arts than eastern ones.

So yeah, currently I'm considering to just stop at Kyokushin and go over to practicing Muay Thai (+ BJJ + MMA, yes, the Combat Academy also offers MMA classes where you basically get to fight with your Muay Thai and BJJ skills).

Can I get any opinions on this? Do you think Kyokushin is turning pussified lately or does it still stand strong? Would it be a good idea for me to make the shift? Am I a total asshole? Should I take cyanide?

Thanks,
    Z

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 9:05am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is only one Doctor. Doctor X!!!!

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 9:49am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Z
    I'm having a problem recently: I'm starting to feel less and less empathy for Kyokushin. It started when I saw this Combat Academy in Copenhagen offering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but in fact it also offers Muay Thai (and since I want to practice more than one martial arts this is very efficient: Afterall, then it'll be fit perfectly so that I can practice both).

My problems are that:
    1) Recently I feel that Kyokushin is turning more and more pussified, and it totally doesn't help that Shokei Matsui, the leader of IKO1, is a fucking coward, if you watch his 100-man Kumite you'll see that he breaks just about every fucking rule and 'honorary code' of Kyokushin. This way the man who was supposed to further Kyokushin? I think not.
    2) I'm a person who likes tournaments (full-contact), but full-contact tournaments just seem to be way more prevalent amongst western martial arts than eastern ones.

So yeah, currently I'm considering to just stop at Kyokushin and go over to practicing Muay Thai (+ BJJ + MMA, yes, the Combat Academy also offers MMA classes where you basically get to fight with your Muay Thai and BJJ skills).

Can I get any opinions on this? Do you think Kyokushin is turning pussified lately or does it still stand strong? Would it be a good idea for me to make the shift? Am I a total asshole? Should I take cyanide?

Thanks,
    Z
    Switch schools. You'll never have the opportunities to fight in Kyokushin that you'll get in the combat sport world.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 9:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Switch schools. You'll never have the opportunities to fight in Kyokushin that you'll get in the combat sport world.
    Yeah, you're right, I've realised it, even though Kyokushin is a full-contact art it still takes a hell of a long time to get into all the knockdown tournaments (plus, you learn a lot of technical jargon in the start which is basically useless), I like the whole honour system that comes with practicing a Japanese martial arts, however, I don't want that if it's on the expense of learning actual fighting and participating in a lot of tournaments.

So I guess in a month or two I'll be practicing Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA (the same school offers all three for about 50$ monthly - again, Danish clubs get subsidaries from the government, this is why they're so cheap).

Thanks for the advice, I needed to get my goals a bit cleared up.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 10:06am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyokushin isnt pussified, but MMA training will be definately more beneficial. I wish i had some near me :(

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I guess in a month or two I'll be practicing Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA (the same school offers all three for about 50$ monthly - again, Danish clubs get subsidaries from the government, this is why they're so cheap).
    That looks like a bargain, how many times a month do you plan on training?

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 2:28pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely stick with the MMA school, it sounds like it's perfect all 'round.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problems are that:

Z
    If you're not happy than nothing I guess is holding you back.

But what do you mean about Matui is a coward?I've only ever seen snippets of the movie so you would half to tell me what is about the man you don't like.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably have a million gripes with Kyokushin and it's offshoots, being pussified isn't one of them

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    That looks like a bargain, how many times a month do you plan on training?
    Not sure yet, however because of all the classes they offer, I could actually get one class every day for the whole week, and yes, it seems like a real bargain, even more so, the guys are the place seem really nice. =\

Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I probably have a million gripes with Kyokushin and it's offshoots, being pussified isn't one of them
    *Shrugs* I just wish Kyokushin was in much of a prime as it was back in Mas Oyama's time (but I guess we all do).

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    But what do you mean about Matui is a coward?I've only ever seen snippets of the movie so you would half to tell me what is about the man you don't like.
    If you watch the movie clip where he does the 100-man Kumite, you'll notice that a lot of times he just grabs the opponent's leg and then sweeps the other leg so that the opponent falls, that combined with the fact that all of his students will cower before him, and that he actually kicked one of his students (during the 100-man Kumite) while he was down (which is disgraceful!) makes me think of Matui as a coward.
Page 1 of 19 1 234511 ... LastLast