Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2006 4:23pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gee, the competition is fierce!!
    Did I mention we also teach Takedown-do in our judo club?

Tomas
    http://baltimorejudo.mysite.com

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 5:12pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got back from class.

First off, Sifu Shannon Moore really sees a need for more competition in the _ing _un world. He would like to see more tournaments, and more _ing _un guys losing their aversion to competition in general. He is trying to organize and get more schools involved in both chi sau competition, open martial arts tournaments, AND even MMA. He is starting MMA classes and brings in an outside instructor to lead them. He said that this isn't so that all of his guys can become MMA guys or BJJ guys, but so that his students can be exposed to it and learn to defend against it. He was very practical about all of this from what I saw.

Not that Moore himself hasn't been exposed to lots of that before. He is experienced in wrestling, kickboxing, boxing (which he fought semi-pro in Detroit), and others. With his students, he oftentimes said things along the lines of "That seemed to work the way it was supposed to, but if I'm a real boxer and I reacted like a real person would..." and then he'd press them to react more realisticly and purposefully as he drilled into them with a lot more power, force, and non-linear punches.

Power and force comes easy for him. Moore is a huge, strong guy. He really used the TWC footwork to his advantage though, when he could probably just tower through guys. We talked about footwork for most of the class, and I think that was probably in response to me being there since my school's focus isn't on footwork (at least at the level I'm at). This would bring us to the main criticism I had though. While Moore himself was solid, the two students of his there didn't seem to "get" the things going on quite so much. They said lots of "Yes Sifu" but then he'd go "No, you're doing it wrong again." I wasn't sure how much the students were really picking up.

I didn't get to touch hands with the students, but after the class Moore wanted to show me a few things (and see what I did differently I presumed). My previous training dealt with pressing directly through the opponent and their defenses, and I was able to do that a few times when we started chi sau (which surprised me, since he has 10 times the _ing _un experience I have). When he saw what I was doing though, instead of just "defending" better or "attacking" more, he used his footwork to minimize my advances and take advantage of what I was doing.

Is this a TWC difference? I don't know, as I didn't get to work with anyone closer to my experience level. Moore pointed out some other differences, and I really wanted to smack Ip Man in the head. There are a bunches of them just in one small part of the first form. This was another cool thing about Moore: he knew a good deal about the different ideas and focuses of the different branches. At one point, he said "You guys would probably respond more this way" and yup, it felt just like what I was more used to. He even knew a ton about my sifu back in Detroit, though they've never met: "Aaron, you'd really like his sifu. He's into Dungeons and Dragons and Death Metal."

We didn't do any standard drills or forms, though I was told they normally do. We also talked a bit too much for my liking, but I was told that wasn't the norm either. At one point when Moore was explaining something in chi sau he was giving me a bunch of the details about what we were doing. When I said something about how I could sense it just by touching him he said he knew he was talking too much and explaining things I could more easily just feel. Moore is a very kind, personable guy though, and I got the feeling that he wanted to explain things lots more than I find necessary. Then again, as I'm from a different school and not one of his students, it was very nice to see that he was willing to be completely open and to share all of his ideas with me. He seemed excited to have the conversation with someone different.

Lastly, Moore didn't mind hitting his students a little bit, mainly lightly to the face or neck or with a little more force to the stomach or ribs. I'm more used to a few heavy, full punches to the chest, but at least he wasn't just slapping them with "pretend" strikes, though he was pulling them a lot and not "pushing through" like you can practice with chest punches.

Real or fraud? I'd say it's definitly not in the realm of fraud from working with the sifu myself, though I really wish I could have worked with some of the students. It's still _ing _un though, so my recommendation would be to give it a try and see if it's what you are looking for.

Dagon

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    11/25/2006 5:14pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S. One other thing that weirded me out a bit was how often people said "Yes Sifu!", and how often William Cheung was referred to ("The Grandmaster"). This goes under the "more talking than I prefer" but it seemed odd and more formal than I'm used to.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2006 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    Which side of B'more are you in?

Your best choice (but pricy) would probably be Groundcontrol (http://www.planetmayhem.net/academy.htm). Their BJJ is superb and a friend of mine is coaching kickboxing there, dangerous Croatian.

This is not bad either, this is where I train:
    (http://baltimoremartialarts.com), the website is funny, but the BJJ is pretty good, and they have KB program.

And while you are deciding you may want to come train judo with us, $8 matfee and you can use one of our club gis. (http://baltimorejudo.mysite.com)

Tomas
    I'm up at Fort Meade. But yeah I looked at Ground Control and it is expensive. So I don't know yet.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/26/2006 10:09am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxot
    I'm up at Fort Meade. But yeah I looked at Ground Control and it is expensive. So I don't know yet.

Oooooooo they do the secret **** there. Scary.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 3:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jax, you're at Ft. Meade?

I'm right across the street from you, and my temple is just up the road.

PM me.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/30/2006 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He even knew a ton about my sifu back in Detroit, though they've never met: "Aaron, you'd really like his sifu. He's into Dungeons and Dragons and Death Metal."
    Honestly, don't you think he was probably just playing the percentages there? :)

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 8:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have met with Sifu Moore and participated in a minor sticky hands session with him. Do not be taken back by his size, the man is unbelievably fast. I also was slightly frustrated with the website, but he called me back relatively quick and gave me directions to go and meet with him. I have not seen enough of his skill to give a qualified recommendation, so go check it out.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 2:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competition footage from the school:

YouTube - Scott Hellman at 2006 Lei Tai (FULL CONTACT)

Posted On:
    3/21/2009 8:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Jax, you're at Ft. Meade?

I'm right across the street from you, and my temple is just up the road.

PM me.
    Are these the guys that had or have the school on Mulberry Street downtown in Balto? I know that guy but he is a skinny black guy. He was one of Cheung's guys though and was there for many years. This guy could be his student or it is a coincidance that they are both teaching from the same line I suppose.

If so the guy was a pretty fair fighter... though it took him a lot of punches to get it done and... well let me find out before I say anymore.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast