Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 8:26pm

Style: krav maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    phuquedup,

I watch the center of the chest just below the chin.

If other fighters you train with move their heads more and better than you, then watching their eyes will give you alot of false signals. Every jerk of the head is not worth chasing after or running from.

Likewise, the hands. You take krav maga, so I hope nobody is waving little blue and red flags everytime you touch each other. Don't hang out all day eating them, but punches thrown with just the arms aren't worth worrying about overly.

A real punch, kick, elbow or knee, hell even a good head butt, and definately a shoot is going have some torso behind it. So watch the torso for a better signal to noise ratio.

As you you get more experienced, calmer, cooler, your tunnel vision will widen and you'll see more, so you'll catch eyes, hands, etc. in your peripheral vision.

Also you can start to catch breathing cues watching the chest.

I'm a noob to, so I hope I don't get slammed. I take krav to so I just wanted to give you my 2 cents. check my input with your instructor, I'm willing to bet we're with different associations. If you're willing to believe me over him; it's time to shop for a new school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 10:46am

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're solo and have some empty space, take your handwraps and find a location where you can tie them off on both ends. Then, tie them off on both ends and velcro them together in the middle, trying to keep the wraps even just below shoulder level. It'll sag in the middle, but work with it. You can tie off whatever you want for this drill so long as you can see it.
    As a tip, you actually don't want to completely clear the wraps, you want the bottom of your head to lightly skim the top of the rope when rope. The tigher you are when weaving or slipping, the less distance you have to travel to counterpunch. If you drop too low, you won't be able to land a counterpunch before the person defends.
    NoMan,
    thanks amigo, I really like that drill. My head motion has been getting a little better since I made the first post and I'm a lil looser in the flow. Definitely going to incorporate the tied off line in my shadowboxing.

Also thinking of investing in a double end bag. Was originally aiming for one of those training bags with human shape, but I think a double end might be more beneficial in terms of my biggest weakness.

Likewise, the hands. You take krav maga, so I hope nobody is waving little blue and red flags everytime you touch each other. Don't hang out all day eating them, but punches thrown with just the arms aren't worth worrying about overly.
    hehe, nah we spar. I haven't sparred 'full' contact yet, and to be honest my head gets whipped back enough in 50-70% contact, so I don't think I'm loosing out by not goin all out.

A real punch, kick, elbow or knee, hell even a good head butt, and definately a shoot is going have some torso behind it. So watch the torso for a better signal to noise ratio.
    Yeah, watching the torso without focusing intently on any particular point seems to work the best so far. I've also felt that I feel more comfortable once we incorporate kicks into the mix, probably has something to do with the distance.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one mentioned the old school slip bag for solo work? http://store.titleboxing.com/everlast-slip-ball.html

any small heavy object on a rope would work too. decent DIY vid here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdN-B2KweIc
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2006 12:54pm

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what do you find the most effective - a traditional slip bag or a double end?
    is it mostly a matter of personal taste? Far as I can tell they're designed for more or less the same purpose.

PirateJon - thats a nice video, thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 10:46am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by phuquedup
    what do you find the most effective - a traditional slip bag or a double end?
    is it mostly a matter of personal taste? Far as I can tell they're designed for more or less the same purpose.

PirateJon - thats a nice video, thanks.
    The other name for a slip bag is a maize bag, I did mention it.

You can also purchase a slip bag/maize bag to practice solo, along with double-end bag drills. Again, slip the attacks as closely as possible.
    Which is better is kinda a hard question to answer. I use the maize bag whenever I need a break for a round to regain my breath. Slipping a maize bag isn't too strenuous. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a good double-end bag as well. If you're home setting up a double-end bag, you'll need a mount for the ceiling and floor, in addition to the bag itself.

The bag that I like best for slipping is this one:

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25130

Here's the deal on this:

1.) This type of bag is very strong and will require bag gloves to hit. The bladder, (bag inside that holds air), is not likely to get popped. Of course, this is a problem you'll run into more with a speed bag than a double-end bag, but bladder replacement is not fun.

2.) It's heavier and is more of a workout than the regular ones:

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25058

3.) It really hurts if you get nailed in the face by this.

Don't get the small ones if you're planning on working on slipping, you won't be able to hit them enough to get much going.

Additionally, the reason I like the double-end bag is that it's easier to adjust drills when doing solo work. E.g. if you are getting to good at it, stand closer to the bag when hitting it. With a slip bag, you have to close your eyes and hold the bag and let it loose. You'll anticipate it. So, if you are saving money and aren't sure about the distance to slip, get the maize bag. If you have more money and space, and understand your distance pretty well, get the double-end bag.

Coach's notes: Take your hands with you when you move the head, don't punch the bag without using correct form, (many people go to crap when they punch double-end bags), vary your punch speed to keep the slips from becoming something you're just doing without watching the bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2006 10:54am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this sounds stupid, but check out the Taekwondo Pad drills, and footwork drills, they do alot for agility, and being light on your feet, just be sure to keep your hands up.
    Try this site http://www.coachhanlee.com/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12