Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uchi-Mata - 2000 Olympic Judo - Nicolas Gill vs. Kosei Inoue (DISCUSS!!!)

2000 Olympics. Nicolas Gill vs. Kosei Inoue. A photo shot from this fight is perhaps one of the best known Judo photographs out there:

Finally I found a clip of this match via e-mule, which I sliced and diced, with sections in slow motion for further analysis. Inoue goes for the ouchi gari, fails, and immediately follows up with uchi mata, which gives him the ippon. Please see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysGbgF_eyc

One of the things I'd like to highlight is to pay close attention to time 0:51. You can clearly see Gill breakfalling just before he lands on his back. Yes, slapping the mat is a given, but this is the type of nitty-gritty details that are lost unless you watch them in slow motion.

Please discuss.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 5:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just back from training, so am a little beat up and tired. For a few horrible seconds I thought I was going to be watching footage of Yoshida breaking his arm.
    Thankfully not.

That is an excecllent clip of my favourite technique, thanks for posting it.

I don't see the ouchi as having failed, I think it put Gill exactly where Inoue wanted him. Gill moved off the ouchi to his right and opened up. Then it was time for launch.

Interesting that you've picked up on Gill's ukemi. Are you intending to make some sort of point about the importance of good ukemi and the risks some some high level players make to get off throws?
    Perfect example - the aforementioned Yoshida and his dodgy attempt to post out of a spectacular Uchimata.
    Last edited by NorthWest; 11/20/2006 5:16pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWest
    I'm just back from training, so am a little beat up and tired. For a few horrible seconds I thought I was going to be watching footage of Yoshida breaking his arm.
    Thankfully not.

That is an excecllent clip of my favourite technique, thanks for posting it.

I don't see the ouchi as having failed, I think it put Gill exactly where Inoue wanted him. Gill moved off the ouchi to his right and opened up. Then it was time for launch.

Interesting that you've picked up on Gill's ukemi. Are you intending to make some sort of point about the importance of good ukemi and the risks some some high level players make to get off throws?
    Perfect example - the aforementioned Yoshida and his dodgy attempt to post out of a spectacular Uchimata.
    Exactamundo. Yeah, more or less that was one of my the intention :tongue3:

Rules make games, and games make strategies, but how does pivoting in mid-air and sticking the hands out while being propelled with a violent throw become conductive of fighting skills? :icon_scra It would seem to me that practical fighting skills would also include the ability of not taking unnecessary risks.

My other intention was just to showcase the little nitty gritty details. Things like this are precious but can only be watched right upfront of the contestants. Plus lately I've seen people (not here though) dismiss breakfalling as a simple mat-slapping. That simple mat-slapping can be the difference between a sore back and a concusion.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 5:41pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    High level Judo competition causes people to mess up their ukemi, badly. That's pretty well recognized. People will do anything not to fall on their backs. This is why, e.g., posting with the head no longer defeats ippon. It was spectacularly unsafe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 9:07pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    forgive my sarcasm

but a judoka doing a breakfall??? preposterous!!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO@ posting with the head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 2:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    LMAO@ posting with the head.
    You would not believe how often that happens.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 6:39am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's fucking retarded. If I get slammed on my head, OK, but in no way am I ever NOT going to just try and breakfall. Ippon can lick my nuts, in a real fight, I want to at least have a chance at functioning after the slam.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly. Even at the piss poor level I fight at, the number of guys you see frantically twisting and turning out of ippon throws into high speed face plants is ridiculous.
    Yes, they may avoid the ippon, but in no way is it worth the cost.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2006 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWest
    Exactly. Even at the piss poor level I fight at, the number of guys you see frantically twisting and turning out of ippon throws into high speed face plants is ridiculous.
    Yes, they may avoid the ippon, but in no way is it worth the cost.
    Since you haven't competed at a high level, you have absolutely no perspective. Put ten or fifteen years into preparing for one singular match and get there, then see what you'll do to ensure you win it or do to avoid losing it.

That said, injuring yourself in low level comps because you don't want to lose is lame.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast