Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do people actually put a gun right against somebodys forehead when they're robbing them?

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:55pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I would have shot them before they did any of these techniques (and I don't use guns).
    I think assuming you'd have shot them before they grabbed you is what would get you killed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:03pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LE are trained to keep a distance with a firearm as well as most others that learn fire arm defense. My friend is going through academy right now and I am thinking about it. These videos make my heart cry.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:32pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Do people actually put a gun right against somebodys forehead when they're robbing them?
    Apparently, us crazy honkies do. Or crackas. Gringos. Whities. Whatever.

-dagorilla

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:54pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty.Hands
    Some more gun self-defense on Youtube. I have never heard of Farang Mu Sul before I guess it's some form of filipino MA. These are gun self defense techniques, and in every single one of them I know I would have shot them before they did any of these techniques (and I don't use guns). Comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIf-rP-bTxs

Ja

Rei
    With a name like Farang Mu Sul, I assumed it was something Korean. I was close, it is a mix of Korean systems probably with some other stuff thrown in all put together by a white guy. The techniques are no better or worse IMO, although the techniques where there are 2 guys dealing with 1 gunman might result in getting someone shot. Then again if your going to attempt a gun defense in a real situation you should expect to get shot anyway.

Here's what I found on Farang Mu Sul after a quick search

http://www.dsystem.com/

- Grand Master Michael De Alba -

Modern Farang Mu Sul® founder Grand Master Michael De Alba is a lifelong student of the Martial Arts, with over 40 yrs. in the arts. Beginning with boxing as a boy, his training includes a wide variety of systems, but his major has been Korean styles such as; Hwa Rang Do, Hap Ki Do, Do Hap Sul, Tae Kwon Do, Kuk Sool Won, Sun Moo Do and others. He trained in Korea as well as other Asian countries. While in the military he taught various special units (i.e.: Seals, Rangers, etc.). Grand Master De Alba has trained with many great Masters from diverse systems. He has achieved black belts in several arts and is considered one of the most innovative and knowledgeable instructors today. He is in great demand for seminars and demonstrations around the U.S. and abroad. He is world renown for his Combative Knife Fighting and Comprehensive Real World Hand to Hand Combat. This type of training has led to the development of special law enforcement and military combatives programs, as well as very successful "Vale Tudo" (NHB/MMA) fighting teams.

Grand Master De Alba has developed the De Alba System of Modern Farang Mu Sul®. This roughly translates as "The Fighting Art of the Modern Warrior". Modern Farang Mu Sul® is an amalgamation of various arts in Grand Masters' repertoire, but traces it's main roots to four versions of "Classical Hwa Rang Do". Some of the main distinguishing aspects of Modern Farang Mu Sul® are it's focus on practical self defense and it's progressive approach to improvement of the art and the individual student. Grand Masters' specialties include conventional and unconventional weapons as well as CQC (Close Quarter Combat). His teaching methods reflect a diversity of skills with a definite focus on effective self defense.

Grand Master De Alba holds the position of Founder, President and 8th Degree Black Belt, Kuk Sa Nim (Grand Master) of the art of Modern Farang Mu Sul®, with representative schools branches across the USA, Europe, Puerto Rico and South America. His title and rank have been awarded and recognized by some of the most respected martial artists in the world coming from such prestigious organizations such as ATAMA (American Teachers Association of the Martial Arts), MACS (Martial Arts Collective Society), WMAA (World Martial Arts Alliance), WHFSC (World Head of Family Sokeship Council), International Chosondo Federation, National Korean Martial Arts Asso., The Society of Hwa Rang, and others. He is a published author and has appeared in numerous international Martial Arts magazines. He has also produced a series of instructional video tapes and training manuals exposing a number of specialized areas of Modern Farang Mu Sul® to the general public.

edit:The whole website looks like it may be full of interesting tidbits
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 11/20/2006 4:03pm at .

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:04pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    LE are trained to keep a distance with a firearm as well as most others that learn fire arm defense. My friend is going through academy right now and I am thinking about it. These videos make my heart cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Professionals trying to control you will keep a distance. Criminals intent on robbing you will often get very close in an attempt to hide their actions from any passerby or for the extra intimidation of being “in your face”.

So yes, bad guys DO sometimes get that close with guns and knives.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:10pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how often does someone have someone else with them when someone pulls a gun on em though?

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:32pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as gun dissarms go, that video is not the worst there is. A lot of stuff is a lot worse. Good basics to most of those- the ones that didn't innvolve kicking your gunman- isolate the weapon, get it away, turn it back on him and keep your disstance.

If I ever hold someone up at gun point I intend to keep about ten feet between us. Never get close enough to touch someone if you can help it, never take anything from a hand; have them set it down and step away.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    how often does someone have someone else with them when someone pulls a gun on em though?
    A knife, I'd imagine almost never. A gun, not that hard to imagine. But how often are you going to be held up while walking with someone you happen to train gun dissarms with and will ahve the balls to draw the gunman's attention? I think you've got a better chance of having a lightening bolt hit your mugger.

/easy-chair tactical genius

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 8:18pm

Style: Ex-TKD, Ex-Taijitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied Farang Mu Sul for about 6 months. It's an offshoot of Hwa Rang Do (without the cultishness and greed) and it's not terrible. The biggest problem with the system, IMO, is that it's way too broad and doesn't do a good job at separating the useless from the usefull.

In other words, they do aikido-style wristlocks AND they also roll.
    They do chi-sao AND they do useful drills from western boxing.
    They do one-step sparring AND they do quality standup.
    They do snappy TKD kicks AND they do swinging Muay Thai shin kicks.
    They believe in Ki AND they believe in MMA.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the gun defenses, but the comments that say some of it is good, and some isn't are probably right on the money, because that's Farang Mu Sul in a nutshell.

In other words, they can learn to fight, but it's REALLY inefficient, which is one reason why I left. The main reason I quit was because the school I was at was a real shoestring, and some nights no one would show up, so that tends to lose you some students right there.:icon_tong

They do have an MMA team fighting out of the New York school, they seem to mostly send fighters to a local promotion called Ring of Combat. Their main fighter is a guy called Marlon Sims, who I trained with a few times when he was in San Francisco. Marlon is still associated with the school, but he currently does most of his training with Frank Shamrock.

Actually, now that I think about it, I actually found Bullshido from an e-mail GM Michael DeAlba sent out that had a link to the Kyokushin vs. Drunken Kung Fu video that this site was hosting a while back. They're open-minded. Just a bit too open-minded for me, ultimately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 8:57pm

Style: Kempo, Catch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually the techniques shown, for the most part, are pretty solid. They utilize several techniques that LE and military have been teaching for years. Looseners, distractions, hand postioning, and most important, STAYING OUT OF THE BARRELS PATH!!

All in all it's nice to see soemthing like this taught intead of somthing like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWj6F7JeDio

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghlvfvx_6JM
    Last edited by Kempoist; 11/20/2006 9:04pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast