Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    So basically you are starting O-uchi gari, then throwing him via his nutsack?
    Kinda, more or less. The throw is interesting and looks like one throw from one view, but like another throw from another, and yet it's a totally different beast compared to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by saku39
    suppose you could adapt this no-gi, with a grip over the head to the opposite lat instead of the belt grip? anyone tried it. well, im gonna.
    Dude, I don't think holding onto the lat would give you the same leverage you'd get by grabbing not just the gi at lat/shoulderblade height, but the belt itself at waist height.

Perhaps the closest thing would be to get a firm grip at his armpit. I don't see grabbing the lat to give the same kind of leverage... but that's just speculation from my part. :dontknow:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks a little like a sumo style throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:34pm

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for the judoka:

a certain version of the khabarelli-throw is banned by the ijf in judo-comps - check rules for "kawazu-gake" or ask your instructor before comps.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    -That version on video definately looks like its part Ura Nage/Supplex too. Variations...

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 6:52pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sui generis
    for the judoka:

a certain version of the khabarelli-throw is banned by the ijf in judo-comps - check rules for "kawazu-gake" or ask your instructor before comps.
    Damn IJF, always ruining the fun...

As far as the throw goes, so you're actually moving back a la ouchi gari rather than turning a la uchi mata? Interesting...
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    11/24/2006 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it looks like the bastard child of te guruma and ouchi gari, I don't know how good of a throw it is, but we will find out, won't we?

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 9:24am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder about that "russian" grip. (Over back grabbing belt.) How come the opponents dont take the back or shoot for the legs? What's stopping them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 10:36am

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have done a session on Khabareli about two weeks ago, if you scroll down the pics, there's 2 down there somewhere http://baltimorejudo.mysite.com/photo3.html .

You don't need the belt grip, deep back works too.

And in terms of getting the "russian" grip, sometimes when you get a regular deep back grip and put pressure on them, they will duck under your arm in an attempt to get your back for supplex and actually give you the russian grip. There's a split of a second there for khabareli.

The mechanics is actually very similar to uchimata, it is a kind of face-to-face forward reap.

I'm not aware of khabareli variations being illegal, unless they fall under one of the general do-not rules.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 2:10am

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love me some sambo ;)

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 8:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kawazu-gake is when you wrap your leg around your opponents leg and lock it at the ankle.This was also know as the Russian leg sweep. So if you do ouchi and then continue to wrap the leg around and hook your ankle in the front of his this is illegal. It was also done from the side with both opponents facing in the same direction.

I always taught this throw like doing sumigaeshi while standing. Important note here Khabareli was an extremely strong individual. While the throw can be done with little effort when executed correctly. He was just a powerhouse of a human.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast