Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Khabarelli Throw

Have you guys seen or practiced/toyed with this crazy throw named after Shota Khabarelli? I think the actual name of the throw is Gadavlia (or so the internet voices say) and that it originally comes from sambo. It is showcased in the front cover of Alexander Iatskevich's Russian Judo.

Pretty much there is nothing that I can add or comment on this subject, but I think it is a particularly interesting one, and I'd like to see what other people with Judo, Sambo or Wrestling experience can say about it, and about the technical details, pros and cons of it.

Lets see if these yt media tags work. The clip below shows Khabarelli performing the aforementioned throw from timeframes 0 to 8 secs.

And additional eye-candy is the second throw in the clip. That "Russian" grip (over the shoulder into the belt) is just bad ass. In addition, there is an article on this throw (in German or some other language that looks like German to beaner me :tongue3:) The pictures in it explain the throw in more detail:

http://www.judo-praxis.de/Technik/Te...habarelli.html

Anyone care to comment?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:35am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently went to a seminar where this was presented -- apparently a great many clubs practice it, not because it is particularly a great throw for everybody, but because it is a good lifting exercise. I myself find it difficult to get into the grip for it (we were taught a sameside grip for the entry).

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:38am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet kesa garami at the end of that clip!

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:00pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, looks like a combo of uchi mata and a suplex. Gonna have to try that out.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    Interesting, looks like a combo of uchi mata and a suplex. Gonna have to try that out.
    -The Khabarelli doesn't feel like Uchimata at all. It has a feel much closer to Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi in the end and starts off like O Uch Gari to get the grips. This is why cleans, snatche, and deadlifts are great for Judo.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    That's exactly what crossed my mind, suplex-like uchi mata done in the opposite direction as uchi mata proper.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -The Khabarelli doesn't feel like Uchimata at all. It has a feel much closer to Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi in the end and starts off like O Uch Gari to get the grips. This is why cleans, snatche, and deadlifts are great for Judo.
    I guess it reminds me of uchi mata because of the right leg (or in this case, right knee) lifting action on the opponent's left inner thigh.

I do want to whore this belt grip in class and see if I can make something useful out of it. We are doing more stand-up now, and most guys take a crouched stance (wrestling background I guess), and the belt is just right there for the taking...
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/20/2006 12:13pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:09pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the kurtka has "belt loops" and belt is threaded through the jacket, I'm guessing you get better grips for this kind of throw. I was coached in judo (by a coach with a Russian style training background) to keep my belt loose enough that it will slide up and down my torso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:12pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    suppose you could adapt this no-gi, with a grip over the head to the opposite lat instead of the belt grip? anyone tried it. well, im gonna.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically you are starting O-uchi gari, then throwing him via his nutsack?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast