Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 9:52am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Accredited BJJ Club?

So I've found a BJJ club which is ... affordable

It's called Choke Academy (www.chokeacademy.com)

Here's a list of instructors: http://www.chokeacademy.com/INSTRUCTORS.HTML

Is this club bullshit, or?

Another question: I also consider Judo (since it's way more affordable compared to BJJ), however is Judo even anywhere near as effective as BJJ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:05am

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Z
    Another question: I also consider Judo (since it's way more affordable compared to BJJ), however is Judo even anywhere near as effective as BJJ?
    Effective for what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:46am

Style: KrottyCrappleAnimeLARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For kicks, Obviously.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:56am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I've found a BJJ club which is ... affordable

I'll treat your question seriously... (god knows why)

BJJ on average has a better (more effective?) Ground game than Judo, and on average Judo has a better standing game than BJJ. They complement each other nicely.

This isn't always the case though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    I'll treat your question seriously... (god knows why)

BJJ on average has a better (more effective?) Ground game than Judo, and on average Judo has a better standing game than BJJ. They complement each other nicely.

This isn't always the case though.
    Thank you a lot for answering my question!

However: Could I please get a SERIOUS answer from someone who isn't an inexperienced and ignorant slut? (Hey, Bustardo, what you read on WP ain't tantamount to REAL FUCKING EXPERIENCE).

Thank you!

(Furthermore: Why the **** would I want a reply pointing out factors, which I'm already aware of?)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you a lot for answering my question!

However: Could I please get a SERIOUS answer from someone who isn't an inexperienced and ignorant slut? (Hey, Bustardo, what you read on WP ain't tantamount to REAL FUCKING EXPERIENCE).

Thank you!

(Furthermore: Why the **** would I want a reply pointing out factors, which I'm already aware of?)
    You're a dumbass. Use the search function idiot. Hundreds of posters have answered your question many times over, and you know what the distilled answer is? Hint: Read Bustardo's post.

You whiny fuckers are getting very tiresome.

'Oh, I can't be bothered to do a search. Typing is hard! I'll just ask my worn out question and hope no one notices what a lazy sack of **** I am.'

Bonus points for your snide reply to Bustardo though. It just screams, 'I'm a little bitch!'

****, I think I need to get laid because I am one grouchy ************ these days. Oh well, I'm sure no one noticed.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:46pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I (very) recently started BJJ after a few years of Judo, and it is something that I have been thinking about recently, so here are some random thoughts on the question.

BJJ and Judo are pretty similar. The rules are pretty similar, but there are some subtle differences because of the ruleset which can become more pronounced depending upon how lazy you are. (I am very lazy.) Major differences for -me- (they might be different for you):

* Ground technique: As a judoka, I am OK at some aspects of the ground game, and terrible at others. Judoka, I would say, are not bad at attacking on the ground -- passing the guard, for example, is something practiced quite a bit at Judo because this is a position we end up in (after ko-uchi, o-uchi, etc.). I do, however, tend to end up passing to a pin and not a submission, again, because I am lazy. Defending, however, I have ended up being very good at stalling, because the Judo rules allow for it -- if you stall long enough, you can get stood up again. This includes the turtle, which is a bad habit I need to break. BJJ people are way better at defending. Lower level BJJ people do not seem to encounter kesa-gatame as often as Judo people, and may not be as well equipped to deal with it. I am impressed by the groundfighting subtleties and techniques that BJJ has. Even BJJ white belts had ridiculous hip and leg control compared to me.

If you need to immobilize people for some reason, Judo has pins, BJJ does not really. For beating people up, I would say BJJ has the edge. If you need to restrain people, maybe you want to do it in a way that doesn't involve choking -- Judo for the win!

* Standing: Judo is, of course, focussed on standing. In terms of gi stand-up, Judo wins hands down -- the BJJ people I have met have not developed grip fighting skills to the extent of a Judoka. To put it another way, standing up, the most striking thing about doing randori with Judo black belts was that they wouldn't even let you get into a position where you could start a throw. BJJ also seems to lack a focus on the big, high amplitude throws. If you want to learn a really good uchimata, I wouldn't go to BJJ (it seems like as long as you both end up on the ground, the BJJ guy is happy). On the other hand, throwing is notoriously more difficult to learn than groundwork.

BJJ lacks some of the gripping rules of Judo. Stiff arms seem common so far, along with strong defensive stances. A lot of people say the gripping rules in Judo are there because the Japanese didn't want to lose to the Russians, but Judo also bans a lot of very excellent stalling grips. If one of your senseis taught you attacks from the stalling grips (same side, one-arm), this is pretty decent for BJJ, because you don't need to attack in 3 seconds, and you can stall like mad.

* A lot of people in BJJ are in love with that flying arm-bar. What is up with that? I do not know. I don't personally know any judoka whose major technique is the flying arm-bar.

Summary: Like the guy said, Judo has more sophisticated standing, BJJ has more sophisticated ground. BJJ probably has an edge for beating people up, especially in the short term and especially against people who don't train against takedowns/throws. Against people who do train against takedowns/throws, and if you can do the high amplitude throws really well, that is a different story.

Obviously mileage may vary based on club and how lazy you are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    ****, I think I need to get laid because I am one grouchy ************ these days. Oh well, I'm sure no one noticed.
    Obviously you find sobbing and whining more interesting than getting laid, you fucking loser.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    Well, I (very) recently started BJJ after a few years of Judo, and it is something that I have been thinking about recently, so here are some random thoughts on the question.

BJJ and Judo are pretty similar. The rules are pretty similar, but there are some subtle differences because of the ruleset which can become more pronounced depending upon how lazy you are. (I am very lazy.) Major differences for -me- (they might be different for you):

* Ground technique: As a judoka, I am OK at some aspects of the ground game, and terrible at others. Judoka, I would say, are not bad at attacking on the ground -- passing the guard, for example, is something practiced quite a bit at Judo because this is a position we end up in (after ko-uchi, o-uchi, etc.). I do, however, tend to end up passing to a pin and not a submission, again, because I am lazy. Defending, however, I have ended up being very good at stalling, because the Judo rules allow for it -- if you stall long enough, you can get stood up again. This includes the turtle, which is a bad habit I need to break. BJJ people are way better at defending. Lower level BJJ people do not seem to encounter kesa-gatame as often as Judo people, and may not be as well equipped to deal with it. I am impressed by the groundfighting subtleties and techniques that BJJ has. Even BJJ white belts had ridiculous hip and leg control compared to me.

If you need to immobilize people for some reason, Judo has pins, BJJ does not really. For beating people up, I would say BJJ has the edge. If you need to restrain people, maybe you want to do it in a way that doesn't involve choking -- Judo for the win!

* Standing: Judo is, of course, focussed on standing. In terms of gi stand-up, Judo wins hands down -- the BJJ people I have met have not developed grip fighting skills to the extent of a Judoka. To put it another way, standing up, the most striking thing about doing randori with Judo black belts was that they wouldn't even let you get into a position where you could start a throw. BJJ also seems to lack a focus on the big, high amplitude throws. If you want to learn a really good uchimata, I wouldn't go to BJJ (it seems like as long as you both end up on the ground, the BJJ guy is happy). On the other hand, throwing is notoriously more difficult to learn than groundwork.

BJJ lacks some of the gripping rules of Judo. Stiff arms seem common so far, along with strong defensive stances. A lot of people say the gripping rules in Judo are there because the Japanese didn't want to lose to the Russians, but Judo also bans a lot of very excellent stalling grips. If one of your senseis taught you attacks from the stalling grips (same side, one-arm), this is pretty decent for BJJ, because you don't need to attack in 3 seconds, and you can stall like mad.

* A lot of people in BJJ are in love with that flying arm-bar. What is up with that? I do not know. I don't personally know any judoka whose major technique is the flying arm-bar.

Summary: Like the guy said, Judo has more sophisticated standing, BJJ has more sophisticated ground. BJJ probably has an edge for beating people up, especially in the short term and especially against people who don't train against takedowns/throws. Against people who do train against takedowns/throws, and if you can do the high amplitude throws really well, that is a different story.

Obviously mileage may vary based on club and how lazy you are.
    Now this is usable, in fact, really mint! Thanks a lot for the answer, JohnnyFive!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dr Z, You are a fucktard, please go kill yourself. We donít want you here. -john

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny3443
    Dr Z, You are a fucktard, please go kill yourself. We donít want you here. -john
    -We-? You seem a little schizoid! No? Since when do -you- represent -we-? Don't you mean "-I- don't want you here"? Tough ****, I don't care about fucktards like you who can't even list a serious style in their profile.

Furthermore, Johnny3443's occupation ("I need one, Hire Me!!") truly shows that he (despite the fact he has a girl for his ava) is of superior intellect! Oh man, you're so intelligent that you're able to stay unoccupied and unemployed! Celestial blessings to thee, great worklessness man!

Lastly: For god's sake, guys, let this thread die, my question was already answered, why must you bitches feel the need to sob endlessly?! I'm not your fucking psychiatrist.
    Last edited by Doctor Z; 11/20/2006 3:36pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast