Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 6:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I am not. These men are obviously scared of going to a real college or university. I am going to go and research this "martial arts Phd" now. I have seen several tv shows about "martial arts Phds" on the discovery channel and others, and i just smell the bullshit miles away. I mean, an anthropology degree with a specialty in MA is one thing, but a doctorate in it is another. I mean, people get their Phd in Anthro with a Cheese specialty.... so why cant they get in MA?

24 page thesis paper? ****! So, by college standards, thats 12 pages double spaced, with a cover page, graphs, tables, references, thats like 5 pages. I can pop one of those off in an hour.

Talking about popping one out, i have a "temp bran" behind door number 2 thats about to go, so honorable man ar549 keep me posted, and if anyone can tell me about a Phd in martial arts, then tell me, cause it seems interesting.

(Phd in martial arts sounds like complete and utter bullshit, seriously, someone please prove me wrong on that)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 6:48pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SBGi, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's very curious. Not only do they not appear to have any form of accreditation, but they ask for degrees that they approve of in order to gain MA or PhD's through them. It's almost as if they are starting to set themselves up as an accrediting agency, rather than being subject to one.

Now, if you can get a PhD in Physical Education, I can certainly imagine a PhD in martial arts, but it would certainly have to involve a deep exploration of teaching technique, proper body dynamics, and possibly history. No matter what the case, it would certainly have to be a sub-area of Physical Education or Kinesiology.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or Anthropology. Or History.

In Japan and Korea isn't there "Karate Colleges" or something like that?

Actually, in the Washin Ryu Bullshido school near Binghamton University that Hidy Ochai "runs" there was someone with a Master in Philosophy there "training" and being paid to learn the style for his masters thesis. Wierd ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 10:27pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the best of my knowledge there is no accrediting body for martial arts PhD's, meaning that this institution is not accredited by the Council for Higher Education or the United States Department of Education. The PhD program is in Israel, and hence is not subject to US law, but it is clear that this 'degree' serves no other purpose than to allow someone to call himself 'doctor', since this degree is essentially worthless in a professional setting.

Be aware that in some states it may be illegal to title yourself 'doctor' without the accompanying /accredited/ degree. This includes honorary doctorates. Using this "PhD" in a professional setting might be fraud.

A real PhD generally takes longer than 24 months, though in exceptional cases, can be completed in this short a period of time -- YC Fong, for example, the father of modern biomechanics, completed his degree in 2 years at Caltech. Such instances are rare. A thesis is also generally much, much, much, much longer than 24 pages 'including the bibliography'.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Phd Interdisciplinary Social Science is the shortest I have ever seen, 12 months, and it is not really a normal degree, just a weaker version of a Phd in Social Work. In U Michigan, its combined with their Social Work Degree, with no longer time for it, so give you an example of what it is. There are also Phd/Md degrees, which it is used.

This Phd in Martial Arts seems like extreme bullshido to me. I really wish someone would prove me wrong............
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12