Administrator

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:27am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brandon Vera - The future of MMA?

Brandon can do it all. Box, Muay Thai, BB in BJJ, and a formerly ranked Greco wrestler.

I'm not talking a one dimensional fighter that branches off and gets good at other parts, like Hughes, I'm talking one who is great in all parts of the game.

Listen to him in this interview for a Filipino Tv show. Brandon goes on to say what needs to be done to become a MMA fighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JuOJewop_M

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:37am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vera's a real class act. Nice guy, and of course it's nice to hear his "what you mus do before you get in the cage" - clearly he's never encountered a REAL martial art, which will always be a complete system covering all three ranges.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's great, but he's not a true heavy. $5 says when he meets one - (Sylvia, maybe Arlovski or Monson) he'll get his **** pushed in. He'll be one bad mofo at light heavy though.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent interview.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too, would rather see him fight at LH. I think he could give the title a run.

My only reservation is, who has he really fought?

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:42am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, great fighter but he needs to drop to LHW.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brandon is a team mate of mine so I'm obviously biased in his favor, but he is so skilled all around that I think he can be champ at HW and LHW like he has said he wants to do.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I think he's great, but he's not a true heavy. $5 says when he meets one - (Sylvia, maybe Arlovski or Monson) he'll get his **** pushed in. He'll be one bad mofo at light heavy though.
    You know the last couple guys Vera's fought all weighed in heavier than Arlovski and Monson typically do, right?

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:23pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. Personally I think he needs just a bit more experience before he goes after someone like Arlovski, who's had a ton of fights. If GSP had had a few more fights before he took on Hughes, he would have won the first time, and I can see a similar situation with Vera.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    You know the last couple guys Vera's fought all weighed in heavier than Arlovski and Monson typically do, right?
    Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean to talk strictly about the weight, but having the size to hang with the top guys at heavy. I mean, Joe Riggs used to weigh more than big Tim does now - was he a true heavyweight? Hell no, he was a fat middleweight.

I'm talking more power-to-weight or ideal size or whatever you want to call it. It's the same reason Randy dropped down to lt heavy. Brandon's ideal size says lt heavy to me. Gaining 30lbs - and it didn't look like muscle - for a fight is a crazy thing to do no matter what.

Maybe he is that badass and can hang with the top level big guys, but I wouldn't put my money on it. I'll pay to see him try though. :laughing5
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast