Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:12am

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KIAI!

Ughh what's one of them, I have read about them on the internet and on this forum but, what the **** is one?

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:23am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should probably say something like SURCH FUNKSHIN NOOB but instead I'll just answer your question like a normal human being;

A Kiai is a shout delivered before, after, or (most commonly) during an attack. Kiai's are done for a variety of reasons, ranging from reminding fighters to exhale and contract their abdomen during strikes, to channeling their intent to kill into a sound wave and rippling it through their opponent (not making this up). Think the yelling you often hear when someone is breaking a board or stack of bricks with a strike.

Kiai shouts are a double-edged sword. Many people (i.e. me) feel that kiais have several glaring weaknesses such as:

Encouraging fighters to leave their mouthes open and jaws unclenched during attacks (a surefire recipe for a quick KO or a tongue-ectomy), can cause moves to be telegraphed, and all of the tanglible benefits of a Kiai can be acheived by a short hissing exhalation (as boxers do).

Plus, Kiais generally make you look like a douche unless you're some intense, inscrutable old japanese dude.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:36am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A kiai is a shout you do when you score a point on an opponent with your sloppy technique and you want to draw attention to yourself to tell everyone how badass you are.

It's best done while looking around to see who notices you and making a "I'm badass" face when you're doing it.

The level of your poseurness is directly propotional to the loudness of your kiai. In many cases, it's also directly propotional to your level of insecurity and need to show off.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:40am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    A kiai is a shout you do when you score a point on an opponent with your sloppy technique and you want to draw attention to yourself to tell everyone how badass you are.

It's best done while looking around to see who notices you and making a "I'm badass" face when you're doing it.

The level of your poseurness is directly propotional to the loudness of your kiai. In many cases, it's also directly propotional to your level of insecurity and need to show off.
    Your post is redundant after mine... the stuff you said is "hidden" in my post. You need to master my post to see it, but it's there. ; )

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Your post is redundant after mine... the stuff you said is "hidden" in my post. You need to master my post to see it, but it's there. ; )
    No ****....maybe I didn't kiai loud enough when I was reading it...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:52am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at my first and so far only judo tournament, both of the guys i fought kiai-ed at me when they said "start."

apparently it only worked for one of them, because i'm 1-1 in judo.

i really didn't know judo guys did that, though, and i was kind of weirded out.

i think the weirdness won it for him.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 2:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't you know that's a secret technique? Helio's floating head taught me another one...next time you get your opponent's back, kiai loudly into his ears so he has to cover his ears, then you apply your RNC. No sweat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:21am

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks people. I suppose I do it when I spar, but my mouth isn't open much, it's more like a hiss, why would you shout? And some of our clubs down south shout on the last move of a Tul, Kata whatever you call them, but we don't. Thanks again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 5:10am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    I should probably say something like SURCH FUNKSHIN NOOB but instead I'll just answer your question like a normal human being;

A Kiai is a shout delivered before, after, or (most commonly) during an attack. Kiai's are done for a variety of reasons, ranging from reminding fighters to exhale and contract their abdomen during strikes, to channeling their intent to kill into a sound wave and rippling it through their opponent (not making this up). Think the yelling you often hear when someone is breaking a board or stack of bricks with a strike.

Kiai shouts are a double-edged sword. Many people (i.e. me) feel that kiais have several glaring weaknesses such as:

Encouraging fighters to leave their mouthes open and jaws unclenched during attacks (a surefire recipe for a quick KO or a tongue-ectomy), can cause moves to be telegraphed, and all of the tanglible benefits of a Kiai can be acheived by a short hissing exhalation (as boxers do).

Plus, Kiais generally make you look like a douche unless you're some intense, inscrutable old japanese dude.
    I remember when my Kyokushin teacher (*sigh* loosely, loosely, just one more month) asked me what Kiai was useful for, I listed a long set of 'pros', however he stopped me and said "You forgot the most vital part: It makes the punch stronger", reason I didn't mention that one: I refuse to say pseudoscientific bullshit dished out to spiritualists who label brain impulses "Chi"...

I totally agree with you though, Kiai is overestimated (and in my eyes, useless, it has far more, and far worse cons than it has pros).

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 5:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Z
    I remember when my Kyokushin teacher (*sigh* loosely, loosely, just one more month) asked me what Kiai was useful for, I listed a long set of 'pros', however he stopped me and said "You forgot the most vital part: It makes the punch stronger", reason I didn't mention that one: I refuse to say pseudoscientific bullshit dished out to spiritualists who label brain impulses "Chi"...

I totally agree with you though, Kiai is overestimated (and in my eyes, useless, it has far more, and far worse cons than it has pros).
    I forgot to mention that if you do kyokushin or if you're buakaw, all I said about kiais don't apply.....:D
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast