Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 8:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds decent from all the descriptions, though some elements of the training may be overly compliant in themselves.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:06am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    I may be thinking of another group but isn't Hokuto-Ryu and ALLIANCE BJJ school as well?

I remember a Finnish team at both CBJJ European Championships tournaments I went to. They had both Alliance and Hokuto Ryu patches on their gi.
    The guys who teach BJJ in GB-gym near me are Alliance, and they trained originally in Hokuto-ryu main dojo at Cablefactory. They do MT, Sambo, and BJJ there too. And Auvo Niiniketo does support MMA.

Edit: Kickcather. Yes, the training is/was more in line of traditional JJ in "self-defense" aspect. But we did free sparring too. And in green belt test you had to fight full contact.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the longer demo, at 1:48, when he seionage'd the guy with the knife: is it just me, or did he pretty much stab himself in the midsection there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 11:03am

Style: Systema & BJJ noob,x BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    In the longer demo, at 1:48, when he seionage'd the guy with the knife: is it just me, or did he pretty much stab himself in the midsection there?
    Hmm, yeah. I'd missed that video somehow. I can't really tell whether he does stab himself in the midsection or not - but if he didn't, it was more by luck than judgement, I'm thinking. Overall, that video was fairly sucky. Probably just a collection of compliant stuff for a demo by the look of it, but still fairly sucky, even for compliant stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 3:23pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained this style seven years. It's not the most effective style in the world, but it's not bullshido either. The greatest problem is that many jujutsukas train so that training partner is very passive. He hits and then only stands so that the defender can do his technique. But there is also much of good things in this style. Sparring is part of the training and some jujutsukas spar even lot.

Hokutoryu is basically TMA-style, but quite good TMA-style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2007 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for bringing your experience to this thread, Andy. It's helpful to have an 'inside view' from someone who's trained a good bit in the style.

I made some comments on specific techniques shown in some of the videos, earlier in the thread (post #6). I would be curious to know whether you see some of the same stuff I am seeing in the videos, or whether I'm missing something about the techniques.

This isn't a troll, I'm genuinely interested in discussing this stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2007 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well. I didn't analyze the whole video, but basically I think about same as you.

One big problem in training is also that there is no any rythm braking. Guys do things like a clock: tik-tak-tik-tak-tik-tak. Advanced fighter should fight like: pa-pa-pam--fake-pa-PAM! or something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, do other people train this style differently, or is what's shown in the videos more or less the limit of what's available?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2007 2:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is of course differencies, but I'd say that this video was quite typical hokuto-ryu. Not bad, not great. Yellow belt have trained perhaps some months and orange belt perhaps one year. Propably black belt have trained eight years or more.

There is one big difference between the clubs. In some Hokuto-ryu-clubs is also Brazilian Jiu-jitsu division. For example Tampereen Ju-jutsukoulu (JJ school of Tampere), Turun ju-jutsuseura (JJ Club of Turku) and Helsingin Ju-jutsuklubi (JJ Club of Helsinki). In these clubs many hokuto-ryu trainers train BJJ also and they are quite good grapplers.

There is also some HR-clubs with kickboxing-division, but there is much less cooperation than with BJJ. And of course there is some individual HR-teaches who have trained some other martial arts also and they can teach something complete different.

Auvo Niiniketo, the founder of Hokuto-ryu, is very big figure in finnish martial arts schene. He started also kickboxing in Finland in early 80's and have 5.dan in KB. He have no KB-fights, but he have boxed on 70's and he was finnish karate champion also on those days. He is businessman and strong person. Many people don't like him, but many others respect him. Personally I don't know what should think about him and I have only once talk with him. So I can't say that I'd know him personally.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2009 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hokutoryu is tough style but not practised as intensively as sports styles like judo.

There are rules for hokutoryu fight which are mainly held in belt tests, but there is not really a competition. Some hokutoryu jujutsukas had competed in JJIF tournaments.

Video of hokutoryu rules match. What do you think about it?

YouTube - Hokutoryu match
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12