Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 8:29pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Triangle from yoko shiho gatame?

The other day on the judo forum someone mentioned that he "counters" yoko shiho gatame with a triangle choke. If you're not familiar with the pin, check this page out: http://www.judo-for-all.com/Theory/T...iho-Gatame.htm

Since he hasn't bothered to explain how he does it (I asked since I get caught in yoko shiho quite a bit) I figured I'd ask over here.

So.... umm... how the **** would you manage that?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 9:02pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is actually the original (judo) version of the triangle. If someone is holding you in side control and sticks their hand between your legs, you can pull it toward you while shoving their head down toward your feet. This should make enough room for you to swing your inside leg up and over their head and then clamp down a triangle with the other leg. The angle is such that the choke will be fairly tight if you can actually get it together.

This position in the picture is not really conducive to getting this one; the girl's head is too high on the guy's body and she's got his neck underhooked. He would have to get rid of the underhook and then move himself up (or move her down) to start setting the choke up.

Edit: It would be far easier in the second picture. Especially since the person holding down side control appears to be a lifeless corpse.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite.

It's a basic move that not nearly enough people are aware of.

I used to think that reverse triangle attempts were really only good for other people to give me cauliflower ears with, but I have to say that I've been making them work for me lately -- including reverse mounted triangles -- and they really are pretty entertaining.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 4:49am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a former high school wrestler with next to no knowledge of judo... i gotta ask

why the **** would you ever pin someone like that? why don't you just cradle the bottom person?

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 6:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I saw the picture I was thinking about posturing up and guard replacement on the right side. Didn't even think about reverse. :dontknow:

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 6:39am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't BJ Penn almost get one of these on Matt Hughes in their last UFC fight?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pity the fool who does not have the reverse triangle in his life.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    as a former high school wrestler with next to no knowledge of judo... i gotta ask

why the **** would you ever pin someone like that? why don't you just cradle the bottom person?
    When you mean 'cradle', you mean an inside cradle (right arm hooking opponent's left leg, or left arm/right leg), right?

I think the main reason is the gi. The gi gives leverage. Notice in the pictures that the attacker not only hooks the leg with her arm, but actively grips the gi. You could do the same (I think with the same side leg, but the hold would not be as secured.) Also (I think) it has to do to prevent the opponent from rolling into a turtle.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 9:57am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This, right?

http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=emx4kl

There's a decent thread on similar topics here: http://judoforum.com/index.php?showt...o,and,triangle

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the one. Although I like to pull the arm and underhook the leg.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast