Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 1:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BAD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Second Impressions of MMA/BJJ

So I visited the MMA place again Saturday, interested to see if this “mma” is all that. As the only person who showed up, I got a fair amount of personal instruction and my pick of what to learn. Being that I do very little grappling otherwise, I went with some grappling.

The morning was basically a sampling of positions and submissions from them. Forgive me if I use the terms wrong, memory isn’t all that great. With them in guard there was the arm bar, triangle choke, kimura (sp?), a Gi choke, and two neck cranks that I cant remember what/if they were named. From the mount there was a Gi choke, key lock, arm bar, and neck crank. From North South there was the crucifix (?) and a neck crank. There was also some side position, the name im thinking of sounds silly, so I question that I heard it right, anyway there was some funky submission thing, you wrap around their head and leg, grab the inside of your legs, and apply pain, and an arm bar and key lock using the legs. Also went over a classic heel hook.

After he would show me a couple techniques we would grapple starting from knees to tap out. I started the day lasting about 10-15 seconds, and ended the day lasting a minute or so. Stupid triangle sneaks up on you when you least expect it, also tapped to a couple of heel hooks and a wrist lock from my own stupidity. I did great defending arm bar attempts, if I know anything its that when a wrist is grabbed something bad is going to happen to someone, probably me.

We also went a few minutes standup under kickboxing rules, light contact. A few notes, boxing gloves are heavy, and I hate them, and I don’t know what kickboxing rules means, so I should ask sometime. I have never sparred anyone taller then me, so this was a treat and a learning experience. I can safely say that tall people suck and I want to stick to bullying shorter people, it felt like I couldn’t do anything because of that pesky inch difference in height. That and having never sparred a “kickboxing / boxing” person before ruined my everything. I got it together a little bit near the end, but its hard to deal with all that arm reach, even if its not much at all, he may even be my height and its throwing me off, because I have gotten used to having the reach advantage. I hope to spar him some more just because I want practice with taller people, and he does things different then what I am used to.

I found out that the instructor did in fact study Jiu Jistu, presumably Brazilian as that is what he advertises. Now I shall find under who for how long and what not. He also studied boxing somewhere, who and how long needs to be found as well, perhaps next week. Classes are 8 dollars per, ranging from one hour to two and a half hours, depending on the day. As no one ever shows up on Saturdays, I get to monopolize his time. Depending on his actual skill and credentials ( under who and how long he studied, and if he is good) I may stick with it for a while, if nothing else then to see something different.

The content itself is interesting enough to warrant further pursuit. I have not focused on grappling to this extent before. I enjoy the techniques, so many ways to inflict pain, and they are mostly easy to remember. I will give this whole “ground” thing a chance, as it always seems to be wherever I am, so I may have to fight on it sometime. But don’t think you have won me over yet, with your tempting words and damnable triangle chokes.

…Damn triangles.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the name / rank of your BJJ instructor?

Teaching and applying twisting knee subs like the heel hook to a brand new student is a recipe for disaster.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 2:00pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    What is the name / rank of your BJJ instructor?

Teaching and applying twisting knee subs like the heel hook to a brand new student is a recipe for disaster.
    Seconded, I was shocked to read that the instructor used a heel hook on a new student. Are you sure they were really heel hooks and not some other leg submission?

Anyway, yes, that's it, come over to the dark side MWA HA HA HA HA

GUARD! SIDE CONTROL! KIMURA!

You know it to be true!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BAD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructor’s name is Josh Pelfrey, I haven’t found out what rank he is yet. Rather then outright ask and get some sugar coated answer, I’m trying to bring it up in casual conversation. Ill find out next week for sure, even if I have to ask directly.

I think it was called a heel hook. You wrap your hand/arm over their leg, forearm under the calf I think with their ankle under your arm pit, place a foot in their thigh, lean back and torque. This description sounds incomplete and incomprehensible, but I tried.

The reason he explained it is because I tried it on him, although he was going for the same thing on me and got there first. I have seen it before, and am not a total n00b at MA, I have just not tried much.

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 3:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless your description is really horrible, that's a straight ankle lock, not a heel hook.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 3:47pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ankle lock would make more sense. A lot more pain before the break with an ankle lock, making it a pretty safe leg technique. A heel hook involves rotating instead of hyperflexing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 5:46pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ankle lock= ouch.... really ouch.... snap

heel hook= hmmm pressure... snap... ouch

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 5:55pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    neck crank = oooooww oooooow

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arm bar, kimura, collar chokes, triangle, key lock, crucifix, heel hook, and four neck cranks=what the **** is wrong with your instructor?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/19/2006 7:18pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably just showing him a wide variety of stuff to get him interested.

PS, boxing gloves are not heavy, weakling.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast