Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:11am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Simple economics of supply and demand.

As more and more people get into BJJ and attain high ranks and start teaching the price will go down.

End of thread
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuledByEnmity
    It's simple supply and demand. People want it, they are going to pay for it. Once we get flooded with BJJ schools like we are with TKD, Kempo, _ing _un schools, the prices will most likely drop. But for now, there are very few BJJ schools in most states, and people are willing to pay for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:39am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's a matter of how the school is run (obvious answer for most questions)...but as a broad generalization, I'd say TKD (McDojo's...not so much traditional schools) are more money hungry...

As someone stated, it's a free market economy, so people will pay what they feel what they're getting is worth...so BJJ, for the most part, BJJ ends up being more expensive for monthly tuition...also, as stated, a lot of TKD schools sucker you into a bunch of "soft-costs" like testings, new flashier uniforms, weapons, additional programs (leadership, black belt club, special weapons classes, blah blah)...that all end up costing more in the long-run and generally aren't recognized as direct costs...

I think largely, what is boils down to is this...BJJ instructors could give a flying **** about turnover...the reason they charge as much as they do is because it's high demand in that area anyway...plus, the people who stick it out past the initial "damn, this is harder than I thought...I'll actually have to work" phase will be basically life-long students...and will pay the bills...they get their extra cash from the initial sign up fees from Joe Schmoes walking in off the streets who will quit in a month and of course the occasional belt testing...

TKD schools, on the other hand are like your everyday gimmicky fitness clubs like Planet Fitness or Bally's...they just give people what's trendy and popular at the time...which is why you see crap like "New Ground fighting!", "Krav Maga", "Cardio Kickboxing", etc. added to their curriculums every so often...

They're both money hungry (as any business should be)...but TKD goes out of its way to bullshit the consumer more with crap to get your business...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:45am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that BJJ is overpriced. My nearest BBJ school wont even let you pay by the lesson you have to sign up for a month at (60 $110 approx) by comparison the Sub Wrestling/MMA gym I prcatice at charges 4.50 ($8 approx) a lesson.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotokan costs me 2 a session, so its pay as you go really which is a good system I think. Also the instructors teach for free or very little money, so we can use money on bags and pads. They could charge up to 30 for being 3rd dans though.

Why have mats for BJJ, it's toughen you up if you train on a hard floor all the time :wink:

I'd rather pay for BJJ than TKD, it would go with my karate training a bit more, tbh i think TKD would make me worse.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I think something a lot of your are ignoring is that there is not a great phenomenon of BJJ instructors buying their 3rd and 4th BMWs. Believe it or not (channeling hannibal for simplicity), owning your own BJJ school is really expensive. The mats alone at a decent school are going to cost upward of 10 grand, and paying for an empty building that is properly zoned AND big enough is something of a nightmare. Believe what you want, about the **** being a ripoff, but you're wasting your time complaining about it.
    My coach was still painting houses on the side a couple years ago and he has had a successful school for at least six years.

With 40 regular students at $120 / mo. that's $4800/mo. gross. After paying rent, maintenance, utilities, insurance, and estimated income taxes on the profit that's barely enough to live on if you have a family. It's also a job with no benefits, no retirement, etc. You sure as **** aren't buying a house in a major city with that kind of income. Even at double that gross, you aren't getting rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:15pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do MA schools have any sort of liability insurance also...? Cause I wonder if it's more expensive/cheap depending on things like 1) the nature of your training/teaching, 2) the number/ratio of kid/adult students, 3) what equipment your school has (heavy bags, a ring, weight equipment, etc.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 3:31pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have insurance but it also doesn't cover everything. Havening a school is a HUGE risk money wise.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456