Sponsored Links Spacer Image

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which style is more money hungry?TaeKwonDo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

Which style makes more money? TaekwonDo or BJJ?

I'm asking because the BJJ subculture revolves around spending insane amounts of money. It's not unusually for a school to ask for $120 to $140 a month.

Look how much these mother fuckers pay for their uniforms and gear.
    http://www.brazilianfightwear.com/st...parent_ids=0,2

It's like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is for middle class white kids who have money to waste. That's another reason it bothers me. Black people, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans are poor and they can fight better than these middle class white kids. Imagine if someone like them started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu they would dominate.

I was talking to this Judo coach. And he was telling me how Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guys have no right to charge more than a cheap Judo club. I totally agree.

I'll even go as far and say that the majority of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu schools are McDojoish.
    It's great that the quality control is better than a martial art like TaeKwonDo and Karate but damn. I guess you really get what you pay for.
    カンフー

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:30pm

Style: bee jay jay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    brazilian jiu jitsu

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:41pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    It's like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is for middle class white kids who have money to waste. That's another reason it bothers me. Black people, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans are poor and they can fight better than these middle class white kids.
    I'm hoping you meant Black people, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans are poor SO they can fight better than these middle class white kids because of their socioeconomic status and the fact that they have had to grow up in rougher neighborhoods not because of inherent skill imbued in their racial genome. I'm guessing that's what you meant because from what I've read from your other posts, your not a racist idiot.

Edit: I also wanted to say that I don't think ALL Black people, Puerto Ricans, or Mexicans are poor or good fighters.

I agree that BJJ does cost quite a lot. I'm paying more than 140 and I am a middle class white kid with money to spend. It still hurts the wallet. Being a middle class white kid I don't see a problem with some one trying to make a decent living, however. It is excessive in comparison to other martial arts, but martial arts as an education system is so profoundly cheaper than other arenas it's hard to equate with anything. If we look at college (in the US) dear God, martial arts is a bargain. If I compare it to what I was paying for drum lessons, it's a bargain. Those were private, but it's hard to think of a group drumming lesson.

A school and instructor has the right to charge whatever he or she wants, and the problem I've had with TKD was never the money, but the lack of usefulness. When that ninja guy was teaching kids for free in his backyard in Florida?, Asia still went to expose him as a fraud.
    Last edited by MacWombat; 11/18/2006 9:46pm at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:42pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ's riding on a wave of popularity along with its demonstrated effectiveness in professional MMA competition.

Your racial/SES arguments of fighting prowess notwithstanding, I wouldn't put it past community centers to try to secure decent instructors to have BJJ classes alongside their karate/TKD/judo offerings.

Part of the issue is that a lot of BJJ schools are part of a larger school with more offerings, like where I was originally training. Normal rate was $125/mo for unlimited krav/BJJ/kickboxing, etc, with a Rickson Gracie black belt as the head instructor. This was in the west part of downtown Chicago as well, so you can imagine that paying $1500 per year has a large portion going to rent & upkeep.

If you're going somewhere urban, going somewhere with a reputed instructor (Irvin/Bravo/Gracie/Harris/etc.), you're going to have to pay more.

Compared to something like tennis, golf, or sailing, BJJ is cheap.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Racism has got to be straight to Trollshido? Right?

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be retarded. You can buy good quality equipment that will last for years for way cheaper than that. Also, if you really want to do it, you'll find a way to do it. Most instructors will cut you deals if you can't afford it and you show that you really want to be there.

The thing is, deals tend to revolve around you not sucking at life, so . . .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 9:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my club offers bjj, mt, boxing, wrestling, kung fu.. (oh, just look at the website: http://www.4smma.com)

(yes, they offer TMAs.. but they're pretty much doing their own thing, while the MMA-oriented guys do theirs)

my gym has a "days per week" system, where you pay more per month the more you practice during a week. since i'm right now going 2 days a week and i'm a student, i pay $55 a month.

unlimited access for the week is something like $70-80. on the "lesser" plans you can still go any days of the week you want and take whatever classes you want. (their class schedule online is pretty outdated, btw)

so, my gym pretty much kicks ass in that department.

(i think their "days per week" thing is kind of silly, though. it's not enforced as far as i can tell, and one could easily "sneak in" another day if they were dishonest...)

anyway, there are definitely guys out there who are offering BJJ (and more) and not trying to get rich off of it.

EDIT: um, now that i'm looking at my gym's website.. the *whole thing* is pretty dated. mike o'donnell is a black belt now, and clearly the instructor bio's aren't up. well, bad web design doesn't mean bad martial arts instruction... =P
    Last edited by leere_form; 11/18/2006 9:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 10:00pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been my experience that BJJ clubs tend to last longer and stay open more often, (e.g. on weekends for open mat time), and offer additional classes. For people going to all those classes, they pay a pretty penny. If you're going to one or two classes a week, the charge goes down tremendously.

TKD also has many hidden charges. For example, testing costs a fortune and with the ridiculous amount of belts in the system, plus the stripes added, it can rack up a fortune of additional costs. Additionally, without extensive crosstraining, you aren't going to be worth anything in a fight. Plus, go to your local BJJ school, then look at your local TKD school. I'm betting there are far less complete fat tards hanging around the BJJ school than the TKD school. So, here's what you're paying for:

1.) More training time.
    2.) Better martial arts.
    3.) A chance to get in better shape.
    4.) Less hidden fees.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 10:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWombat
    I'm hoping you meant Black people, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans are poor SO they can fight better than these middle class white kids because of their socioeconomic status and the fact that they have had to grow up in rougher neighborhoods not because of inherent skill imbued in their racial genome. I'm guessing that's what you meant because from what I've read from your other posts, your not a racist idiot.
    That's pretty much what I meant.
    カンフー

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    11/18/2006 10:25pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh, good I'm relieved. I'd go with lower-income minorities from now on, or even lower-income individuals. If that's too PC, just take out the race and use poor people.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast