Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me the Axe kick falls in the same category as the back spinning kick. Yes, it can work and I train with people who use it well. But I think that speed is the key here. Gravity is already on your side as the kick slices down the middle of your opponant so you have to be quick to get your leg straight up high.

This is a kick where you need good flexibility to do it well. It's not like a mawashi-geri (turning kick) or front thrust kick where even if your flexibility sucks you can land them.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spinning back kick doesn't suck.

The axe kick does.

STFU.

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 11:20pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Hannibal]To me the Axe kick falls in the same category as the back spinning kick. quote]

You referring to the back hook, or the back thrust? Both are superior to the axe kick in terms of knockout power, and require much less precision.

And the back thrust has given me the most number of KOs during full contact sparring vs. other techniques I have so far. Not iffy like the axe kick.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 1:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reverse back kick is great !

That's a kick I use. I mean the back spinning kick, the back hook kick. I think you know what I mean. Complicated kicks like those take flexibility and skill more so tha your conventional kicks. That was my argument.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd only use them kicking someone on the ground. I've seen GSP use them in this manner, and they show up in Pride as well (but not usually a fight ender). Often times they are blocked with legs. I'd say for street fighting it is more useful for two reasons:
    1. The nature of the kick makes, say, a work boot far more effective than being barefoot. Even if blocked with the legs, the edge of a work/combat boot chopping into a knee, elbow or shin with a hard ax kick will cause damage.
    2. Untrained people don't always point their feet at the opponent when on the ground. Most people will roll onto their stomach and crawl to their feet (that opened the door to lots of chokes in old UFCs). An ax kick with a good shoe to the kidney could definitely ruin your day.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of them. They can cause lots of damage but are hard to set up, like any power breaking technique, or that jump-and-stomp-with-both-heels technique you sometimes see in Pride or Get Tough.

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 3:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I'd only use them kicking someone on the ground. I've seen GSP use them in this manner, and they show up in Pride as well (but not usually a fight ender). Often times they are blocked with legs. I'd say for street fighting it is more useful for two reasons:
    1. The nature of the kick makes, say, a work boot far more effective than being barefoot. Even if blocked with the legs, the edge of a work/combat boot chopping into a knee, elbow or shin with a hard ax kick will cause damage.
    2. Untrained people don't always point their feet at the opponent when on the ground. Most people will roll onto their stomach and crawl to their feet (that opened the door to lots of chokes in old UFCs). An ax kick with a good shoe to the kidney could definitely ruin your day.
    Uhhhhhh..........why would you want to axe kick someone on the ground if you can get to his kidneys? Does heel stomp ring a bell? Or soccer kick?

Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Overall, I'm not a big fan of them. They can cause lots of damage but are hard to set up, like any power breaking technique, or that jump-and-stomp-with-both-heels technique you sometimes see in Pride or Get Tough.
    It's called a bronco kick if my memory serves me.

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 3:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    The reverse back kick is great !

That's a kick I use. I mean the back spinning kick, the back hook kick. I think you know what I mean. Complicated kicks like those take flexibility and skill more so tha your conventional kicks. That was my argument.
    Yes I know what you mean. I agree it's a kick that takes more practice to master than say the roundhouse, but it generates knockout power unlike the axe kick, and you don't even have to be that precise in distancing. You can hit with your foot, calve or even back of knee like Matsui did in his 100 man kumite. Best used (sparingly) when opponent is moving towards you.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 6:14am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There shouldn't even be a discussion about this.

Axe kicks suck, case fucking closed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 9:46am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No they don't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2006 12:05pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spin hook kicks are extremely low % against a skilled opponent . . . even lower % than an axe kick. OTOH, you often can land a spin back / thrust kick with devastating effect if you set it up properly.

I would never even consider throwing an axe kick in a street fight. If the guy's on the ground, I either GNP or go away.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast