Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Overtraining

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1
    Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Overtraining

    When you do weightlifting and you are working out biceps/triceps and you overtraining does that overtrain your whole body or just the biceps/triceps? I was wondering this because it would make sense that if you only worked out your arms and did a high volume/high intensity workout that it would hinder leg gains(mass) when you did a leg workout the next day. Any help is appreicated.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    345
    Style
    BJJ/boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    either I'm having a mentally slow moment or that was one of the hardest reading questions I've seen in awhile.

    Anyway, when you over train a body part or parts bicep/tricep you are creating more tears and more severe tears in the muscle than your body can repair. This now if I understand your question right, if you do this once in awhile you will only really be hindered in the over trained area and you should give the muscles about 3 to 5 days to recover. Once they are recovered you should do your workout and give the muscle 2 to 3 days to recover. This should not have an adverse affect on a diametrically opposed muscle group such as the legs and you should not suffer any degredation in your leg workout. This would not be true for other body parts which use the biceps and triceps as supporting or complimentary muscles ie. chest and shoulders for the triceps and lats and traps for the biceps. Now if you are overtraining excessively your body will start to break down and you will suffer loss of sleep, lack of appetite, sudden unexplained nausia, constant muscle soreness, injury from overtraining and fatigue. That will have a detrimental affect on you working out the other body parts. I hope I got the question right and this answer helps, if not please correct me and maybe I can answer.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83
    Style
    Still searching...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard
    either I'm having a mentally slow moment or that was one of the hardest reading questions I've seen in awhile.

    Anyway, when you over train a body part or parts bicep/tricep you are creating more tears and more severe tears in the muscle than your body can repair. This now if I understand your question right, if you do this once in awhile you will only really be hindered in the over trained area and you should give the muscles about 3 to 5 days to recover. Once they are recovered you should do your workout and give the muscle 2 to 3 days to recover. This should not have an adverse affect on a diametrically opposed muscle group such as the legs and you should not suffer any degredation in your leg workout. This would not be true for other body parts which use the biceps and triceps as supporting or complimentary muscles ie. chest and shoulders for the triceps and lats and traps for the biceps. Now if you are overtraining excessively your body will start to break down and you will suffer loss of sleep, lack of appetite, sudden unexplained nausia, constant muscle soreness, injury from overtraining and fatigue. That will have a detrimental affect on you working out the other body parts. I hope I got the question right and this answer helps, if not please correct me and maybe I can answer.
    Actually some recent studies have shown that when you workout you dont create micro-tears in your muscles. Read up on DOMS.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOMS

    However, I agree with everything else you said.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,824
    Style
    Wing Chun, Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not muscle tears...fiber tears

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    345
    Style
    BJJ/boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L.
    Actually some recent studies have shown that when you workout you dont create micro-tears in your muscles. Read up on DOMS.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOMS

    However, I agree with everything else you said.

    Thank you for that information. There is some interesting information and the parts about reducing pain and recovery are VERY good. The only thing I didn't quite get was this quote;
    "There is some scientific evidence that further training—a so-called second bout—has no negative effect on the reinforcement process.[4] Training in a state of constant soreness would be uncomfortable, although one may be able to adapt to it."

    Unless I'm reading this wrong they are claiming that other than some physical discomfort there is no negative effect to muscle development or increased risk of injury. That is the only part of the article I have some trouble believing.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Anto, baby
    Posts
    23
    Style
    Capoeira Regional
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    arms have nothing to do with your legs, unless you are standing on your hands when you're working your legs.

    I do chest/biceps
    back/tri/shoulders
    legs

    work in abs daily and isometric stretching of the legs (holding and squeezing the muscles when a kick is chambered for stronger kicklaunch).

  7. #7
    and good morning to you too supporting member
    PirateJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    3,240
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you workout sucks, any over training means you need to slow down, rest more, and eat better.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83
    Style
    Still searching...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    not muscle tears...fiber tears
    Yes i understand this thats why I said micro-tears.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    83
    Style
    Still searching...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard
    Thank you for that information. There is some interesting information and the parts about reducing pain and recovery are VERY good. The only thing I didn't quite get was this quote;
    "There is some scientific evidence that further training—a so-called second bout—has no negative effect on the reinforcement process.[4] Training in a state of constant soreness would be uncomfortable, although one may be able to adapt to it."

    Unless I'm reading this wrong they are claiming that other than some physical discomfort there is no negative effect to muscle development or increased risk of injury. That is the only part of the article I have some trouble believing.
    I think they are just trying to emphasize that DOMS is not a sign of injury. They are also saying training when you are already sore may not be bad (assuming you arent overtraining i.e your performance is still the same or better).

  10. #10
    Community Corrections Officer supporting member
    Matt W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    3,621
    Style
    Judo, TKD BB
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless you are an amatuer or pro bodybuilder/weightlifter/athlete of some kind, you probably don't have to worry too much about overtraining. Most of us slobs who work full time and have families don't even have time overtrain in anything. (I mean, unless you're doing something really stupid like heavy barbel curls everyday.) Follow the most basic rules of lifting and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO