Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Today 07:37 AM
    feedback
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HearWa
    Video?

Picture and newspaper clipping, I'll see if I can dig it up. It was one of the top pikey bareknuckle boxers.
    Definitely post on that if you can find it.

An Irish 'traveller' (the more politically correct term for Irish Gypsies/Pikeys, etc) boxer named Francie Barrett fought for Ireland in the 1996 Olympics, and is apparently a fairly high ranked pro in Europe now. There was a movie made about him a few years ago called 'Southpaw.' Travellers take a lot of abuse in Ireland and the UK - they're not 'Gypsies' in the same sense as the Rom people elsewhere in Europe, but instead are descendents of indigenous Irish people who got pushed out of farming and eventually evolved into a distinct nomadic cultural group.

On a sidenote regarding Muhhamad Ali, apparently Ali may actually be partly of Irish descent as well:

http://www.boxing-memorabilia.com/aliirish.htm

Muhammad Ali Is Irish

Researchers at the County Clare Heritage Centre in the south west of Ireland have unearthed documentation to show one of Ali's great grandfathers came from the county town of Ennis.

It seems Abe Grady, born around 160 years ago in County Clare, emigrated to the United States in the 1860s.

He settled in Kentucky and later married an African-American woman.
    Their son also married an African-American and one of the daughters of that union was Ali's mother, named Odessa Lee Grady. She married Cassius Clay, senior, and they settled in Louisville, where their son, later to become known as the Louisville Lip, was initially given his father's name on his birth in 1942.

He later changed his name to Muhammad Ali when he converted to the Nation of Islam after winning the world title in 1964.

Genealogist Antoinette O'Brien said: "Through research being carried out for the Irish language TV station TG4 on Ali, we established Ali's great-great grandfather, John Grady, the father of Abe, rented a house and a small garden in Ennis with a rateable value of fifteen shillings (75p) in 1855.

"There is no doubt that Abe Grady was Ali's great grandfather. I am not sure whether Ali knows about this - we have not yet managed to contact him."

The development has delighted the small town of Ennis. Local council chairman Michael Corley said: "We would like to honour Ali as one of the heroes of the 20th century and invite him here."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 4:28pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik_Stu
    I fuckin' hate the Irish.
    And they hate you too, you TKD pigfuckin limey!:icon_evil

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd imagine thats because you're a product of a union between your mother and one of those travellers.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odacon wins.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 6:58pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, so thats why I like boxing so much, its the 'traveller' blood in me.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cuz they fucked you in the ass without lube?

*** EDIT ***

Odacon beat me to it. Anyways, Jesus Christ. There are some mean, racist comments on that clip... and as inarticulate as these gypsies. These dudes do not look like the brightest lightbulbs in the xmas tree, but they sure they sure aren't pussies... that's something I respect.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 7:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    gypies are hard motherfuckers, a gyppo boxer laid out muhammad ali like he was nothing.
    ****...I found it! I was actually kind of sceptical, but check this out:

http://www.travellersinleeds.co.uk/_...rs/boxing.html

"Gypsy" Johnny Frankham standing over Muhammed Ali (then Cassius Clay) after flooring him at an exhibition fight.'

Also, Ali apparently sparred with another Irish traveller boxing champ named Bartley Gorman:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/local_her...m/gorman.shtml

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 7:37pm

Style: Hiatus, mma shortly.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi
    None of them looked like Brad Pitt..... weird.
    Unless Brad Pitt lays out one of them personally I wont be impressed...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR
    ****...I found it! I was actually kind of sceptical, but check this out:

Also, Ali apparently sparred with another Irish traveller boxing champ named Bartley Gorman:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/local_her...m/gorman.shtml
    Holy ****!!! Nice find DJR. This should be archived or something. Nice piece of forgotten history!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast