Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 8:11am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad my wife is never so adamant in mundane things like this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 10:36am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to be fair to wrestler guy. I am 4-6" taller than he is, and probably have 40ish pounds on him. Reach, height and weight were all on my side. He had experience, and some training that I didn't have. Maybe he took me down to neutralize my size advantage.

For my part, I had been growing annoyed with getting taken down by him, and had started reading up on grappling techniques. Prior to the accident, the last couple times he had shot for my legs, I had grabbed him around the head and one arm, and sprawled back. I wasn't sure what to do from that position(I'm a noob for sure), but I could hold him there all day. He never said anything, but I think he was sort of annoyed by this.

The really funny part of all this, was when WS first came back to teaching once he had healed a bit. I had to have a talk with my son about staring at or asking about the stitches and scar on the guy's face. 5 year olds can be brutally honest. I didn't want my kid to say "My daddy did that to your face, didn't he?" in front of all the other parents and students.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog
    I want to be fair to wrestler guy. I am 4-6" taller than he is, and probably have 40ish pounds on him. Reach, height and weight were all on my side. He had experience, and some training that I didn't have. Maybe he took me down to neutralize my size advantage.

There's the key right there. What the **** was he doing slamming a beginner around, if my coach caught me pulling that type of **** he'd tell me I was being an asshole. Here's a news flash for wrestler boy IT'S A FUCKING CONTACT SPORT.

His mom came to visit in the hospital? Okay, I can understand mom getting worried? His mom had anything to do with the interaction between her son and his school and the rest? Double WTF? Her son shoulda said, **** happens mom, I fucked up. I got overconfident and I got reminded.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's really sad is that some of the students are going to walk away thinking that wrestling and grappling is worthless because of this incident.
    WS should have told his mother that it happened during training and he learned something from it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    If they have Kyokushin and old school Hawiian Kempo in Oahu. Why is my friend a such a shitty karateka patfromlogan
    You have a friend?

*hint* punctuation is our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    There's the key right there. What the **** was he doing slamming a beginner around, if my coach caught me pulling that type of **** he'd tell me I was being an asshole. Here's a news flash for wrestler boy IT'S A FUCKING CONTACT SPORT.

His mom came to visit in the hospital? Okay, I can understand mom getting worried? His mom had anything to do with the interaction between her son and his school and the rest? Double WTF? Her son shoulda said, **** happens mom, I fucked up. I got overconfident and I got reminded.
    Good post. This **** violates the ethics and methods of decent martial arts training.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:38am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittfrog

For my part, I had been growing annoyed with getting taken down by him, and had started reading up on grappling techniques. Prior to the accident, the last couple times he had shot for my legs, I had grabbed him around the head and one arm, and sprawled back. I wasn't sure what to do from that position(I'm a noob for sure), but I could hold him there all day. He never said anything, but I think he was sort of annoyed by this.

The really funny part of all this, was when WS first came back to teaching once he had healed a bit. I had to have a talk with my son about staring at or asking about the stitches and scar on the guy's face. 5 year olds can be brutally honest. I didn't want my kid to say "My daddy did that to your face, didn't he?" in front of all the other parents and students.
    At one of the clubs I'm part of, most of the members crapple. Because I have some minimal BJJ experience, I can walk all over them. I make an effort not to, by holding back and working my weaknesses. I also tell my training partners (because that is what they are) what they did wrong, what they could do next time, and what they did right. I expect no less of them in return; when I **** up takedowns or standup, they tell me. Every time we roll, they become harder and harder to dominate, and that makes me work harder to improve my game.

It sounds like wrestler guy was just doing what he did best so he could beat you. There's a difference between training and competition, and some people just don't get that.

In conclusion, lol anti-grapple.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pittfrog, if this hasn't screwed up the relationship of the school toward your son, then IMHO it will be ok for him to continue. I got into a weird scene once and realized that the insecure bb teaching was coming down on my son because he had problems with me.
    *edit*
    Quote Originally Posted by boblangley
    Pittfrog,
    Mark my words, regardless of how well you think he is doing with your son, his bad habits with adults and mistakes made with you and your safety will filter to your son, sooner or later. take your son elsewhere.

bob langley
    Bob is the correct and I stand corrected. Be really careful.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/17/2006 11:45am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    You have a friend?

*hint* punctuation is our friend.
    Yeah he's really no good and he got his black belt in the style. But his sister took the same style back in Oahu and she beats the **** out of people. Weird.
    カンフー

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So tell us the whole story, Pittfrog -- was WS really Josh Koshchek moonlighting as a Ke?po instructor? :lol:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:34pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been careful with my son's interactions at the school. I observe the classes he takes, and I've never seen them be anything but fair to him.

As for the other stuff about safety, etc, your points are very well taken, but there's still the not-so small matter of my wife. My son has already expressed interest in Kali, and he really likes to hit our heavy bag and play around with gloves/focus pads. So I think he'll want to go elsewhere eventually anyway.

Heh, not Koshchek. I just checked WS' profile on the school's site--I was wrong, he had a judo background, not wrestling. Kind of cool though, you can see the scar between his eyes in his pic on the site (no I won't give the URL--call me ghey if you want :) ).
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast