Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 3:48pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its like complaining that you got wet learning how to swim...

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuckin Kempo bitches. My friend who I used to teach alongside got his head split open after showing "How do jab" do a friend that came to our throwdown. My friend was cocky as he was dominating the standup part of the fights with his KB background. He was ecstatic about it, and thanked the guy for doing that. "That'll teach me to keep my hands up."

I'd be ashamed if a newbie student bludgeoned me, but if it happened, I sure as hell wouldn't be acting like HE did something wrong. And yes I realize that although it wasn't mentioned explicitly it seems apparent that this kid was in HS, but tough ****. He's a BB and was fighting adults with barely any protective gear, using non-Kempo techniques to dominate beginner students. He got what he deserved, and if he or his mother are upset, then I would hold the chief instructor completely responsible for running a school like that.

Fucking Ke?po....
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 10:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Does no one else notice the convoluted paradigm shift of a Kempo instructor expelling a student for thwarting a wrestler's takedown with a knee strike?
    Hilarious! :occasion1

But in all honesty Ke?po has a rule of thumb when it comes to instructor-student sparring; Instructor dominates and toys with his student, and if his student doesn't make sure that happens, he's being "disrespectful"

Ke?po instructors have a common habit of when being beat, to stop the match, chuckle, pat the student on the back and then say that he just wanted to stop so he could "fix" a few things that the student was doing wrong.
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pittfrog, thanks for sharing your story. Those guys are petty idiots, at least in this situation. If they are good with your kid then great. Itís weird Iíve seen schools that do the kid thing (instruction) very well, but they are completely lame when it comes to adult instruction, sadly these places tend to be mcdojo-ish.

Over all it was a good thing in the end, your eyes were opened to the BS that is in many MA schools. Sounds like you found a great place to train, keep it up. I wish there were more options for Muay Thai training around here (Seattle).

Once again thanks for sharing, good luck in your training. -john

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    School sounds like morons run it.

Blame the white belt. Dopes.

A TKD instructor I worked out under put his hands up, palm outward, to signify "stop" when sparring a n00b and the n00b right crossed him between the hands, connected with his jaw and dropped him. He said he makes sure now to say "stop" and still laughs about it. This in normal stuff. It just happens. I've been hurt by n00bs sparring plenty because they don't have the control or knowledge or the ability to go "friendly." So what? It's my problem if I'm open and unless some idiot is unloading in a mean aggressive manner, it is just not an issue.

And it sounds more like AK bs than good ol' Hawaiian Kempo. I've been to three AK schools and four Kajukenpo/Hawaiian Kempo schools and there IS a world of difference. I was lucky though, the schools were in Hawaii or had pretty close ties/lineage to the "local" boys, and they tend to keep it real.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 10:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    And it sounds more like AK bs than good ol' Hawaiian Kempo. I've been to three AK schools and four Kajukenpo/Hawaiian Kempo schools and there IS a world of difference. I was lucky though, the schools were in Hawaii or had pretty close ties/lineage to the "local" boys, and they tend to keep it real.

I hate you....*eyes turn green with jealousy*

Every Ke?po school within like a 100 miles of me is McDojo/Bullshido bullcrap. And there you go cruising the Hawaiian Islands with some of the best Kaju, Kempo, and MMA schools in the world.
    ~Bruce Lee

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 10:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they have Kyokushin and old school Hawiian Kempo in Oahu. Why is my friend a such a shitty karateka patfromlogan
    カンフー

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 11:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badsifu
    Do I need to move out to Long Island and start talking like Tony Soprano, or Tony Danza rather?
    Occasional Joe Pesci-esque outbursts will suffice
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 4:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pittfrog,
    I teach Kenpo as a full time martial arts instructor for over 20 years. i am not saying that to impress anyone just to impress upon you that your prior instructor is a "moron" for his teaching methods. Mark my words, regardless of how well you think he is doing with your son, his bad habits with adults and mistakes made with you and your safety will filter to your son, sooner or later. take your son elsewhere. I train in BJJ and teach ground techniques before i ever try and take students to the ground and work ground skills from stand up. And i most certainly would not be upset in anyway, shape, or form for catching a knee or any other weapon in a training situation. SH%$ happens, better in the dojo, than in the street.
    EGOs are to be left at the door, despite the style
    maturity as an instructor seems to be in short supply and unfortuneatley it is "student beware" when students want to "train" at a local school.

students and potential students------do your homework. do not join for convenience cuz its right around the corner, drive farther for a better school....

bob langley

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 7:58am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few things:

The guy I kneed was an adult. He has a normal full-time job, and a college degree. I think his mother came to the hospital because she lived close by, and honestly, the cut looked pretty nasty. I'm 41, and under the same circumstances, my mother would come to the hospital too.

As for comments that I was too rough: I had taken tons of feedback from these guys. I came to my own classes 4x a week, and took my kid there 3x a week--9 hours of my week was in that school. If the problem truly lay with me, there were a bazillion opportunities to speak with me, including some times in private where I was speaking to the instructors in the studio's office.

As for taking my son elsewhere: I really want to do so, but I commute a fair distance to my job. I have to rely on my wife to take him wherever he will train during the week. Changing schools would require her agreement--and at this point she won't give it. She thinks this is a personal issue between me and the instructors.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast