Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 9:34pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well canuck i dont think its typical of all goju schools, the one in that video is the main dojo for goju in okinawa so im sure thats why its so vamped up.

im pretty certain the conditioning is every class in all schools, but the extent of conditioing probably varies from school to school.

no idea about the sparring that why im hoping a goju guy will come and answer these.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 10:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    goju-ryu taught me everything i know about striking!

now, i only took maybe half a dozen lessons in goju.. so i know nothing.

well, i know to uh, contribute my hips to my punches.

anyway, my impression was that the instructors really knew their stuff, as far as body mechanics and power generation go.

i really only disliked the over-emphasis on traditional blocking and okinawan weapons.

since then i've done some shotokan, and every time i visit the shotokan dojo in hopes of learning something, i always get the same lesson on traditional blocking. guh.

anyway, the goju-ryu i've seen was a lot more serious (and less chi-blasting and mcdojoish) than the shotokan i've seen.

of course that doesn't speak the final word for either style.

in any case, axelton, goju-ryu struck me as pretty cool. very hardcore, despite being, you know, krotty. =)
    Last edited by leere_form; 11/15/2006 10:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 11:14am

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My style is part of the Shorin-ryu lineage. We had at least one hard sparring class almost every day, and the serious students all spar hard outside of class, often with folks who practice other styles (including boxing, kickboxing, Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Judo, and BJJ). Most serious students also have competed under various rule-sets (including kickboxing but not including MMA).

I can't say whether that's typical of Shorin-ryu elsewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 9:51pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Goju for three and half years, there's a good instructor about an hour from where I live, i still try to make a few visits here and there, he holds training seminars evry few months.

I dont know how often his students spar, but i know they do some grappling as well. The last time I went to one of is seminars, it consisted of mostly traditional conditioning drills. I put in a decent amount of training and am in decent shape, but his students made me look like a *****. The instructor himself is a fifty some year old asian guy about 5'5" and he's very quick, strong, and has great technique.

Anyhow, at the Goju dojo i trained at in college, we did the conditioning drills shown in the video, but not to extent shown. We sparred once a week, and for the most part it was pretty light. Occassionally myself, my instructor, and the muay thai boxer in the class would throw a little harder.

I am not sure what affilation the dojo in the vid belonged to, maybe meibukan, but it wasn't IOGKF. A lot, though not all, IOGKF instructors place heavy emphasis on body conditioning. I believe that the Chojun Miyagi festivals still hold a full contact tournament, though unlike kyokushin, they do pad up. However, IOGKF generally doesn't place a lot of emphasis on competition karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 11:13pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on what province I'm in I train either Uechi-ryu or Shorin-ji ryu. Both training atmospheres appear to produce hard men, I give the technical edge to shorin-ji, but in terms of toughness and rigor, Uechi is where its at.

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:27am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure I can crush the local Uechi-Ryu kids, but real knockdown karate isn't very popular in the karate haven of Suburbia.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I'm pretty sure I can crush the local Uechi-Ryu kids, but real knockdown karate isn't very popular in the karate haven of Suburbia.
    I really don't know what to think of the Uechi people who share a space with the Aikido school I visit sometimes. I've only seem them do Kata for an hour so I don't know how to judge them.
    カンフー

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    also mas oyama studied the "god hand" as well as "iron body". i really think mas oyama waas the only karateka to actually give meaning to the saying "god hand" after he made kyokushin he accepted 250 challenge fights from martial artists all over the world( yes some boxers too) all of them left with broken bones...he hit THAT hard. people who witnessed these fights said that "if you blocked his rib shot, he broke your arm. If you took the shot, he broke your rib, if he got in close to you it was over" - source forgotten
    The "legend" lives on.

I want to be that tough little Sensei. What fun. Beat the **** out of big fat haole black belts. Wait a minute, I am a big fat haole black belt!

I used to hate that arm smash exercises. Sensei would look so disgusted when I wimpered and moaned.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 12:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    patfromlogan is a haole. I had no idea. When are you coming back to the mainland where you belong. Haole.
    カンフー

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2006 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    patfromlogan is a haole. I had no idea. When are you coming back to the mainland where you belong. Haole.
    Well you could always read my exciting revealing LOG! And get all the inside dope! Oh, I see, you can't access BBC, can you? Well fucking pony up man!

But I'm in Utah, where live. I'll be on the Sunny Isles Dec 13 - Jan 8th this winter. Hell of a time to miss the high rockies snow and freezing fog.

(reminds self to bring white belt - if you want to know any more search throwdowns... something about an evil Hawaiian telling me to wear my black belt - it really impressed Prof. Emperado!)
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/17/2006 11:33am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast