Posted On:
    11/15/2006 4:44am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dieselnoi's innovations?

http://www.horizonmuaythai.com/Muay%...champions.html

"His rapid, power strikes and aggressive style of fighting led to a revolution in Muay Thai that lasted into the 90s. Some movements regularly used in the ring before the arrival of Deisel Noi he made obsolete through technical innovations."

Does anyone know exactly what is meant by the innovations? Which techniques were popularized?
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder about the legitimacy of a site's info when they list Buakaw as having over 400 fights. I've heard of Dieselnoi and what a badass he was, but I have no idea what influence he had over muay thai as a martial art.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

software engineer

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's got to be a grain of salt in there somewhere.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 8:27pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dieselnoi was known for his knees. He was over 6 feet tall, and would normally tower over his opponents. I don't know if one could say he revolutionized the clinch, but he was certainly dominant in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHmZ-HqPcQ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 1:14pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't know you could really say he revolutionized MuayThai fighting. He was an aggressive clincher who so dominated the sport that he finally was forced to retire because no one would fight him. I know they changed the rules governing the clinch because of him. Up until he dominated the scene, knees to the groin were permitted. That was a favorite tactic of his.

If anything, perhaps he could be credited with the popularity of the clinch. Since his time, the clinch has become a refined fighting system in and of itself in MuayThai, and I don't think it would be incorrect to credit him with that trend. But I've seen his clinch, and quite frankly don't see anything particularly innovative about it. His clinch style is quite simple, and his towering stature made it simple for him to lock onto his opponent and swing them around. If you ever see any videos of him fighting, he simply locks onto his opponents head/neck area and pulls them around the ring and throws straight knees. Like I said, nothing particularly innovative in that, he was just DAMNED GOOD at it!