Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 3:08am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The true test of how crappy a weapon is

Would you rather walk into a fight un armed than armed with a nunchaku, or a bat’leth, or a ninja bladed coat rack spear, ect.

And if not, what would be slightly preferable.

I’ve read many threads on how much of the “martial arts arsenal” suck, but none detailing how much relative to each other.

Thank you.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on your training.

for example I would rather have a weapon as I'm being trained using them, yes that includes the nunchaku.

If you have no training at all you can still use a spear or a staff so I don't know who would say that they would rather have no weapon at all...
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 7:07am

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the previous speaker; it depends on your training/experience. If you're totally untrained with any weapons in MA, a tool that you use often (a carpenter would kick ass with a hammer, etc.) could tip the balance.

It allso depends on your opponents training. If you meet a shoot-fighter and you stand there with a pole (and you have no training in using polearms), he would probably be all over you before you get time to know what to do with the thing.

As to what is the ultimate weapon for someone who don't know how to use a weapon; I guess a short stick/knife would probably be OK

But in principle; I'm against escalating situations by bringing weapons into a fight. If you encounter a bully on the street and you pull a knife; he's gonna become quite more wholeartedly in his attack, and he might very well disarm you and use the knife on you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 7:50am

Style: Ju-Jitsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite right. Should I walk into a fight I think I would find an AK-74 quite handy, heh...

Obviously, occasional fights use more often than not weapons that aren't usually regarded as such: it may be a good idea to start practicing brokenbottledo or chairjutsu...

As for concealed weapons, guns are always more effective than everything else: try yo get one and learn how to use it. As a rule, a pistol tucked near one's genitalia makes cocky enough to get into a fight pretty easily.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 8:16am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stolenbjorn
    But in principle; I'm against escalating situations by bringing weapons into a fight. If you encounter a bully on the street and you pull a knife; he's gonna become quite more wholeartedly in his attack, and he might very well disarm you and use the knife on you.
    So is this why you train in WMA?

A knife is a great deterent. Some random asshole is gonna back down if you pull a knife (if he doesnt have a weapon himself) nobody wants to get cut.

but yeah I agre with you here....a carpenter would use a hammer well. So it does seem to boil down to what you are comfortable with.

Me? I will take .40 Glock.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 9:36am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In most fights I wouldn't want to escalate it by pulling a weapon, even an improvised one, unless the opponent did something to earn it (cheap shots, eye-gouging, said something about my mother, etc.) in which case I would try to get my hands on a nearby bottle, glass or pencil with which I would rain down upon them furious fucking up of their ****.

If I carried something around with me it would be a simple knife. I'd rather carry something non-lethal like a collapsible baton but of course you need a permit or something for that and I'd look crazy.

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 10:42am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolenbjorn
    But in principle; I'm against escalating situations by bringing weapons into a fight. If you encounter a bully on the street and you pull a knife; he's gonna become quite more wholeartedly in his attack,
    No, he's going to back the hell off. People have a real aversion to being stabbed or cut.

and he might very well disarm you and use the knife on you.
    Am I being trolled here? You're kidding me, right? ...Right?

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 10:46am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weapons aren't crappy their awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 12:09pm

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    A knife is a great deterent. Some random asshole is gonna back down if you pull a knife (if he doesnt have a weapon himself) nobody wants to get cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper
    No, he's going to back the hell off. People have a real aversion to being stabbed or cut.
    You could both be right, of course. But introducing a weapon to a fight IS to raise the stakes. If I choose to introduce a weapon to a fight, I'm going to be quite sure that the consiquenses for continuing unarmed will result in my death anyway. I still have bad dreams about the knifefight in the movie "save private Ryan" (where the jew gets killed by the very dagger he tries to use on the SS-soldier).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a weapon doesn't deter someone, they probably intended to stomp the hell out of you anyway, as I see it.

In response to the original question, if a weapon is designed to be a weapon, you're probably better off with it than unarmed. With improvised weapons, you often hear of people learning to identify everything around them as a potential weapon. I don't buy into this idea entirely. If I'm attacked, I'd rather be unarmed than armed with a piece of paper, thumbtack, paperclip, discarded band aid, etc. You could throw all that stuff, but come on.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast