Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 6:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One major annoyance I've had when rolling whith Judoka is that as soon as it hit the ground if they couldn't pull guard they just immediately took the turtle position. Since taking the back didn't count as a pin they used the turtle to defend for thirty seconds until the match would get stood up again (under Judo rules obviously). I had a hard time convincing them that whilst this might be a good stall tactic under Judo rules giving up their back so easily would be suicide under BJJ or sub wrestling rules.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 8:29am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and no. First question, how long have you been training in Judo. Second question, how long have you been training in BJJ?

If your answer to both is under 12 months...hell if it's under 6 months. Those habits are easy to break out of. To be honest, hearing your story. It sounds more like mental state issue rather than habit. You are still rolling under Judo rules except your actually at BJJ now....you need to break out of this. You mentioned nothing about typical bad Judoka habit during roll (turtling, poor sweeping, poor guard, escaping to standing, etc.).

Lack of defending or expecting leg/ankle lock is due to you not having had opportunity to experience it until BJJ. For me personally, I was lucky enough with instructors and they taught me a lot of tournament illegal techniques and how to do it/counter in Judo.

As for Judo ruleset building bad habit in BJJ? Yes, it will for competing in BJJ. If you flip the question, does BJJ build bad habit in Judo. Yes, it will for competing in Judo.

As for Judo making you stupid, no it didn't make you stupid. Judo is probably one of best MA to complment BJJ to improve your grappling game and vice versa.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 8:36am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard
    One major annoyance I've had when rolling whith Judoka is that as soon as it hit the ground if they couldn't pull guard they just immediately took the turtle position. Since taking the back didn't count as a pin they used the turtle to defend for thirty seconds until the match would get stood up again (under Judo rules obviously). I had a hard time convincing them that whilst this might be a good stall tactic under Judo rules giving up their back so easily would be suicide under BJJ or sub wrestling rules.
    Were two of you clear on under what ruleset both of you will roll?

Next time, just tell the Judoka that we are not rolling under Judo ruleset and we're rolling until tap. Or!! tell them you two are rolling under MMA rules and you can do light GnP or just even the motion.

If they still give up their back by turtling...you know what to do.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 9:23am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to tell people who turtle up that it doesn't work on t3h str33t, they will get eye-gouged to hell pulling that crap.

Actually the back mount not counting as a pin in Judo was a big sticking point for me. Turtle position ought not to be considered "safe", I mean what the hell?

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 12:15pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    The Judo ground game, on AVERAGE, is weaker than BJJ. The BJJ standup game, on AVERAGE, is weaker than Judo. They compliment each other perfectly. Look at Dave Camarillo or Rhadi Ferguson for high level examples of their integration. So no, Judo will not make you stupid. It will make you a better athlete in its area of expertise.
    The question to ask is, will bjj ever evolve to a point where it throws better than judo.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    The question to ask is, will bjj ever evolve to a point where it throws better than judo.
    BJJ will only evolve so far as the ruleset puts pressures on it to do so. Because the ruleset doesn't put significant pressure on throwing, I doubt it. Same thing in reverse for Judo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better than Judo ? Nah...But Judo is becoming more of an influence in BJJ. The top BJJ guys in the Mundial usually have good Judo skills.

If the guy is going to pull guard, its always better to out grip, then throw him to start 2 points up. Even if he still pulls guard, having a dominant grip will let you start passing from a better position.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I can't find that video of Leo Vieira footsweeping and then choking out an Olympic standard Judo player, but if I could it would totally be a snappy response to this.

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome back, dramaboy. Now get on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    I can't find that video of Leo Vieira footsweeping and then choking out an Olympic standard Judo player, but if I could it would totally be a snappy response to this.
    A gift from the Inquisitors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JsdIAKDXB8
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 4:15pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did that guy even know it was ok to escape the mount?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast