Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:33pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    It is called Prana in Indian... specifically it can be characterized as Kundalini and Chi or Ki depending.

You wanted someone to say this so you could rant about how these concepts are metaphysical, unscientfic etc... Well here they are so go rant!

There is nothing wrong with describing energy through breath for its own sake. IMO

Want to get better in martial arts? its not Chi thats going to do it it is practice. Want to get better in Zazen? practice. Want to be a better oarsman " ". But there is energy that is utilized when breathing properly and this energy canbe manipulated to a degree inteh body. Thats my opinion anyhow. Nothing supernatural about it.
    You added to this post after I responded. "Energy" is fine by me when used as metaphor for "intent" or "focus" or used as some kind of meditation and visualization tool. I only consider ranting when people state that they believe that this "energy" is a physical reality akin to The Force.
    <insert witty comment>

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I agree. I never wanted to be your student in the first place.
    Very witty, kudos.

What magic?
    My point exactly.
    Last edited by rw4th; 7/29/2009 1:41pm at .
    <insert witty comment>

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    Could you be more precise in your belief since "chi" can mean a lot of things many of which border on the realm of bullshit mysticism and I don't want into another non-argument.
    I think a lot of smart people have learned not to talk of these things because they only cause confusion. For example, Auschlander does not, that I have seen, generally, on the threads here make reference to such notions.

I feel this way about it. Because people are stupid and distort things why should I not be able to reference them? Do people abuse the concept of internal energy? yes they do. Chi is used to describe anything that one chooses indiscriminantly.

My belief is that when we are breathing we do access a source of energy in the breathing and that is in the body. This energy can be manipualted to a degree through practice on the breath and pushing the breath up.

I know that when I do the practice I get the results. Is it a belief? yes because I do not need CHi to explain anything. Also when I teach martial art and when I was taught Zazen Chi was seldom if ever discussed. Youyr breath was called..............Get this!!!!!..................

your breath!

Now keep in mind that I have an MA in Chinese Ethics and philosophy and Chi is a major part of Chinese philosophical thinking... I also study India and Prejnayama is a major part of that system... so just because Americans abuse metaphysical concepts through new age Bullshit I am not going to refrain from using these terms....
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    I think a lot of smart people have learned not to talk of these things because they only cause confusion. For example, Auschlander does not, that I have seen, generally, on the threads here make reference to such notions.

I feel this way about it. Because people are stupid and distort things why should I not be able to reference them? Do people abuse the concept of internal energy? yes they do. Chi is used to describe anything that one chooses indiscriminantly.

My belief is that when we are breathing we do access a source of energy in the breathing and that is in the body. This energy can be manipualted to a degree through practice on the breath and pushing the breath up.

I know that when I do the practice I get the results. Is it a belief? yes because I do not need CHi to explain anything. Also when I teach martial art and when I was taught Zazen Chi was seldom if ever discussed. Youyr breath was called..............Get this!!!!!..................

your breath!

Now keep in mind that I have an MA in Chinese Ethics and philosophy and Chi is a major part of Chinese philosophical thinking... I also study India and Prejnayama is a major part of that system... so just because Americans abuse metaphysical concepts through new age Bullshit I am not going to refrain from using these terms....
    So breathing in different ways affect your body in different ways. Fine by me and I have had similar results in my own meditative practice. If you want to use terms like "energy" and "chi" to describe things that's your prerogative, but you also have to deal with the bullshit surrounding these terms and make sure your intended use is clear.

I'll admit I jumped the gun with my earlier posts and apologize, but you have to admit that statements like "OMG, they are messing with things they don't understand" without more explanation tend to invite this kind of reaction.
    <insert witty comment>

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 1:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    So breathing in different ways affect your body in different ways. Fine by me and I have had similar results in my own meditative practice. If you want to use terms like "energy" and "chi" to describe things that's your prerogative, but you also have to deal with the bullshit surrounding these terms and make sure your intended use is clear.

I'll admit I jumped the gun with my earlier posts and apologize, but you have to admit that statements like "OMG, they are messing with things they don't understand" tends to invite this kind of reaction.

No no no. With all due respect: TErms like energy and chi and things like native american practices and crystals and other such things were around before rich white people decided they were cool, coopted them pretending to want to understand them.... then changed them to suit their own pretentious understanding of such.

Chi is a chinese metaphysical concept that describes everything in state. The changes between things result from the density of the chi and hence chi is energy and breath is a form (one of many) energy vis a vis chi.

Regarding half ass Mikyo... well what happens is that people tend to stumble around and eventually find someone who knows something. Some people find a responsible person who is capable and able... some people find the kind of kid who says "hey if we pull your tooth out we can get 5 bucks from the tooth fairy... here is a string for your tooth now I will slam the door."
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314