225227 Bullies, 4458 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: I am OK with people that put more into the "art" than into the "martial"?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Agree: Aikido would be better without all the fighting.

2 1.16%
  • Agree: Not everyone wants to fight in the UFC...

35 20.35%
  • Neither: Silly, but at least they're getting some social contact and light aerobics.

39 22.67%
  • Disagree: no aliveness? no sparring? Not a martial art.

66 38.37%
  • Strongly Disagree: **** THOSE BITCHES! I'LL EAT THEIR FACE! XYENCE!

8 4.65%
  • Comedy Option: Ducks in hats.

22 12.79%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 11:54pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My answer has the cavet: as long as everyone is honest about what they're learning/teaching.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got nothing against people who train in tai chi, aikido, jargon, nonsense et al. Many people can gain health benefits, peace of mind, inner peace etc.

If they do it for fun. Then **** it.

If it works for them to stay healty and active instead of the rest of fatass America playing video games and eating pringles than **** it.

Just like religion... I personally have no ties to religion but if "God" can help keep a person away from drugs then good for them. (Just don't try to sell it to me).

My only problem is when they start preaching about how good their martial art is, how others suck and the false sense of security that can get you hurt or killed in real life. I place the blame for this **** soley on the shitbag instructors that are full of ****. If you can stay away from the shady instructors that propogate this BS than this isn't a problem. Better yet, expose them here and be done with it.

There's no way I can continue to fight full contact into my older years. I'm only in my mid thirties and my body is already wrecked. I'd rather be a limber 80+ year old man doing yoga and tai chi on the beach in Costa Rica then some tard who can't walk without a walker with an oxygen tank strapped on.

----------

Regarding the words --- It seems it's the word "martial" that has all our panties in a bunch. It's semantics people, get over it. BJJ and MT are no more martial than tai chi and tkd. They may be "alive" but it doesn't mean that Jacare wouldn't **** his pants in combat with bullets winging past his head.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 12:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree.

*personally* i like to get my workout while having fun AND studying something that will allow me to **** people up.

if you'd like to get your workout while having fun doing something *vaguely martial-artsy*, that's your prerogative. but it's only okay if you realize that what you're doing is more like an art or a dance or something.

i have to say my aikido instructor from high school realized this and would tell anyone who came by that aikido was not for fighting and that there were plenty of better things to study for self-defense.

i think that's totally acceptable. aikido can be a great thing in somebody's life, if you keep it in perspective and realize what you're doing.

of course, i realized what i was doing and ended up quitting. but i was in it for self-defense, confidence, etc. and i wasn't getting that.

but now i'm confident i can break the limbs of resisting opponents---for real! hooray!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear you. I took aikido for two years mainly for the chicks. I had no illusion about it's fighting ability. For that I took BJJ, MT, Wrestling, Boxing etc. When I'm old and don't have the ability or the will to take harder styles I may just mess around with some of this pansy ****. Everything has its time and place.

Be forewarned future would be muggers of my old decrepid body... I still will be armed. The great equilizer!
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 2:33am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as you're honest, responsible and humble it doesn't really matter to me. but i do think it looks pretty silly on either end of the spectrum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 3:02am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My own younger brother decided he wanted to something martial artsy but it had to look cool, so he went looking for a Capoeira club (and I helped him look around). After a few weeks he quit that (didn't enjoy it) and instead went to train Hapkido. Luckily, he has a trainer that's grounded in reality so he ended up with MMA-lite with dobok...but his main motivation is still that it looks cool. :-)
    (uh, so in the end my option is "I'm ok with it when people are honest with themselves.")

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 3:03am

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    I mostly don't understand people who do a martial art for some kind of pseudo-historical or cultural experience. Hell, if I wanted to have a cranky old Asian guy yell at me about RACKING DISCIPRIN for a few hours, I'd go call my dad. I'm sure there are people who could explain the whole cultural thing, but I'd like to hear it.
    As long as you respect us, I can live with that:love5:

(I'm a total history-freak, and trying to learn how things were done in europe 600 years ago does it for me.) Now; the difference between wma and ema is that in the east there are traditions that goes back in an unbroken (though altered) chain back in time teacher-student, teacher-student, where as in europe, that chain have been broken. (There are probably a few olympic fencers, olympic wrestelers and boxers that claims otherwise, and in their cases, they're partially right; there is a chain going back.) But for longsword, sword and buckler, helebard, staff, spear, the chain have been broken.

So while a "cranky old asian" MA might be full of "cranky old Asian guys yelling about RACKING DISCIPRIN", the WMA is full of people in the 20's - 30's with a mixed background from many MA's, trying to read, understand and grasp manuals that are 400 - 700 years old.

Back on topic; I fully agree with honesty in what one does:exclaim:
    Last edited by Stolenbjorn; 11/14/2006 3:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 9:21am

Style: Isshinryu, goju, japJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as they are humble, I respect those who put the art first.

My uncle is in his late 50's, and does tai chi. He loves it, and it helps keep him in shape. I see nothing wrong with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 9:48am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as they don't have delusions of uber-badassness...then I don't care...at least they're getting some exercise and aren't sitting in front of a computer on a message board.......oh wait...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 9:58am

Style: nothing right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real art comes when you know how to fight.

I hate these people who practice their horsestances for years and claim to be deadly, but I also hate myself for wasting the best time of my life practicing with them. We should tolerate them, but they betray so many young people.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast