228359 Bullies, 4364 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: I am OK with people that put more into the "art" than into the "martial"?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Agree: Aikido would be better without all the fighting.

2 1.16%
  • Agree: Not everyone wants to fight in the UFC...

35 20.35%
  • Neither: Silly, but at least they're getting some social contact and light aerobics.

39 22.67%
  • Disagree: no aliveness? no sparring? Not a martial art.

66 38.37%
  • Strongly Disagree: **** THOSE BITCHES! I'LL EAT THEIR FACE! XYENCE!

8 4.65%
  • Comedy Option: Ducks in hats.

22 12.79%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 5:55pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Another friend has been studding krotty for 5-6 years and is wanting to be an instructor. They do no sparring of any type, because, of course, its to dangerous. His reasons for taking it are discipline, focus, and self defense. "

Yet again an old asian master yelling " YOU WRACK DISCIPRIN !"

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 5:58pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went with the popular option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 7:04pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. I think art is a perfect way to describe a lot of them because they obviously aren't anything else. Flashy, hard to learn and to perfect. That's about it.
    Last edited by RuledByEnmity; 11/13/2006 7:38pm at .

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 8:03pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's not focused on application in fighting, it's not a martial art. You don't have to try to be the badass of all badasses to want to learn effective fighting skills.

I give plenty of respect to people who recognize that their art needs work or fixing and are trying to fix it a la Wing Chun Fight Club, it's just not for me. (Why try fixing what's broke when there're other things that work just fine?) But I still give them respect.

People who do something like the slow kind of tai chi or capoeira or wushu solely for relaxation and fitness, that's cool too, just why bother calling it a martial art?

I mostly don't understand people who do a martial art for some kind of pseudo-historical or cultural experience. Hell, if I wanted to have a cranky old Asian guy yell at me about RACKING DISCIPRIN for a few hours, I'd go call my dad. I'm sure there are people who could explain the whole cultural thing, but I'd like to hear it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I do want to find out what it means, to you, the viewers at home.

Seen a few threads where people got **** for admitting to preferring to train or continue to train in... shall we say... "styles and training methods that are sub-optimal for unarmed combat". Not bullshidoka, but people that honestly admit their weaknesses and limitations, but prefer WC or Hapkido to boxing, BJJ, MT or judo.

How do you feel about these people and their choices?

The Poll: I am OK with people that put more into the "art" than into the "martial"?

implies that there is a degree of "art" and a degree of "martial" and that one has more of one part. 52%?

Or is this a school that has an hour and a half of warmups, striking air, kata, self defense, hitting pads, and shortly before the ending set of pushups and crunches, spends a big ten minutes sparring? That describes the typical Kyokushin dojo.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/13/2006 9:19pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 10:48pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of those assholes join a martial art to learn how to fight and then their buttsucking babyassed sensei pumps them full of peace and harmony bullshit till they really believe that they joined a martiak art for "cultural reasons" in the first place.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Most of those assholes join a martial art to learn how to fight and then their buttsucking babyassed sensei pumps them full of peace and harmony bullshit till they really believe that they joined a martiak art for "cultural reasons" in the first place.
    bla bla bla keep preaching to the choir.

If I keep waiting and come back manana perhaps someone will actually look at the issues here rather than dry humping the obvious.

Oh, uh, I HATE LARPERS AND, UH, AND PAJAMA WEARING, SPECIALLY SILK, UH, KLINGON SPEAKING SOCIETY CREATIVE ANACHRONISM.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    bla bla bla keep preaching to the choir.

If I keep waiting and come back manana perhaps someone will actually look at the issues here rather than dry humping the obvious.

Oh, uh, I HATE LARPERS AND, UH, AND PAJAMA WEARING, SPECIALLY SILK, UH, KLINGON SPEAKING SOCIETY CREATIVE ANACHRONISM.
    What "issues" should we be discussing here? This site has always been about trash talking shitty martial arts. So that's what we do. Trash talk shitty martial arts. PAJAMA WEARING FAG!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 11:52pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it was so obvious then the TMA propaganda that a lot of dojos feed people wouldnt work.

I know I totally fell for it back when I did karate.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast