Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/15/2006 3:45pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah what i said is for the annual main sabaki challenge at honbu. so you can probably do the regionals no matter what style you do( as long as your prepared to get a beating if you dont train full-contact)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 3:26am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith
    what's the most common full contact rule-set (with leg kicks) that could be beneficial to a Shotokan or TKD practitioner?
    Well, if you're talking about your average recreational Shotokanista or TKD weenie, who practice for fun and maybe compete in semi contact tournaments a few times a year, then none.
    Any sort of full contact practice or competition would be counter productive to their goals.

If you're talking about someone with an ambition to fight full contact, then they need to get the **** out of their club and go to a genuine Muay Thai, Kickboxing or Kyokushin club.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 3:56am

Style: Tai Chi, Jujitsu, knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWest
    Well, if you're talking about your average recreational Shotokanista or TKD weenie, who practice for fun and maybe compete in semi contact tournaments a few times a year, then none.
    Any sort of full contact practice or competition would be counter productive to their goals.
    To illustrate our disagreement here, this is a question of whether or not martial arts that have gone astray can be brought back into the full contact fold. One school of thought is once they have fallen from grace (into point-fighting or light-contact competition) they can never return. Another school of thought is that it might be possible to save some systems dojo-by-dojo, which might be the hope of some of the incoming TKD people here on Bullshido.

I think this can happen because I've seen partial-TKD hybrid-style that participated in point-fighting evolve into kickboxing system before that competed with Muay Thai (though they had a history of participating in "American" style kickboxing.) However, it's just a theory, since I haven't seen a Pure TKD or Shotokan school successfully evolve into something full contact (with leg kicks.)

And yeah, getting prepped for an official match 3 months out (cutting weight, watching tapes of the opponent, training several times a week, etc.) is way too much commitment for the "average martial-artist." My question is there a venue with less commitment that can still help a striking art "keep it real." (I'm looking at what tournaments have done for the sport of Judo here, and wondering if the same can happen for all these Karate styles out there, TKD included.)

If you're talking about someone with an ambition to fight full contact, then they need to get the **** out of their club and go to a genuine Muay Thai, Kickboxing or Kyokushin club.
    Yeah, that is the reality that the martial art students face today. I'm definitely talking about the instructor perspective (trying to improve instruction quality) as opposed to the student perspective.
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 11/16/2006 4:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2006 9:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith
    To illustrate our disagreement here, this is a question of whether or not martial arts that have gone astray can be brought back into the full contact fold. One school of thought is once they have fallen from grace (into point-fighting or light-contact competition) they can never return. Another school of thought is that it might be possible to save some systems dojo-by-dojo, which might be the hope of some of the incoming TKD people here on Bullshido.
    Modern mainstream Karate and TKD haven't gone astray. They have always been about semi-contact point fighting.

I think this can happen because I've seen partial-TKD hybrid-style that participated in point-fighting evolve into kickboxing system before that competed with Muay Thai (though they had a history of participating in "American" style kickboxing.) However, it's just a theory, since I haven't seen a Pure TKD or Shotokan school successfully evolve into something full contact (with leg kicks.)
    I tried. I really tried. Once I got my 2nd Dan in Shotokan, I started training in Muay Thai on the side. The more I started enjoying MT, the more I started trying to bring aspects of it's training with me into the Karate dojo - decent padwork, leg kicks in sparring, maybe even knees and *gasp* decent punching.
    Eventually, the Karate folks just got pissed off with me trying to **** with their training. They wanted to train "the Karate way" and if they wanted Muay Thai, they'd have gone to a Muay Thai club.
    It was a lonely, thankless struggle, in which I utterly failed.

You have to ask, what is the point of trying to change people with no desire to change?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2006 5:41pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    The strict requirements are for the World Sabaki Challenge in Denver. The regionals don't have that strict Requirement.
    The one in VA used to require video tape/resume too, but they don't seem to have any informaiton up on their website other than a email address to get more info.

You thinking of entering this year?

Also, according to various google links, there are 10-20million kyokushin practicioners out there.

http://www.cwu.edu/~iq/NWKyokushinkai/sosai.html
    http://www.jukukarate.com/index.cfm?page=6
    http://www.greenmountaindojo.com/page2.html

this pales in comparason to judo which I believe has somewhere around 40 million. I would assume that most practicioners are located outside of the US.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678