Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blow to chest can be fatal in child athletes: study

Apparently, a blow to the chest on children who play sports can actually die, even when wearing current protective vests. A quarter of cases of ventricular fillibration tracked by the article's author since 1995 occurred during organized sports, with 39% of children (with an average age of 15) dying to a fatal blow even in the presence of protective gear.

I would imagine is relevant to martial arts in general and to the teaching of martial arts to youngers in particular. Please comment.

The original article is here.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/13/2006 1:34pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a guy who palmed a guy in the chest breaking 7 ribs, the splintered bone piercing a major artery and bursting his spleen...and that was an adult he did that to. Gave me a new perspective on body shots.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend once said his Army trained dad told him to do that. Palm strike to sternum = teh deadly.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was at the WAKO tournament in Virginia, this dude who was fighting took a spinning back kick to the chest and his heart stopped. Scary stuff.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:18pm

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to v-fib, there are concerns about tearing of the aorta. Originally noted before the advent of airbags, a highly concussive force in the sternum can weaken the aorta, resulting in a tear several days after the trauma. This problem is now becoming (slightly) more prevalent in contact sports. Childern, especially pre-teens, are more likely to be victims that adults. I will try to find and link and get it posted.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That guy I mentioned? He went to jail. He's real lucky the guy didn't die, or he'd still be there. I won't spar with him anymore, he scares me.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:34pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    I know a guy who palmed a guy in the chest breaking 7 ribs, the splintered bone piercing a major artery and bursting his spleen...and that was an adult he did that to. Gave me a new perspective on body shots.
    now that is truly teh deadly dim mak!

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:36pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    That guy I mentioned? He went to jail. He's real lucky the guy didn't die, or he'd still be there. I won't spar with him anymore, he scares me.
    whats your current style cracky?

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:41pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Apparently, a blow to the chest on children who play sports can actually die, even when wearing current protective vests. A quarter of cases of ventricular fillibration tracked by the article's author since 1995 occurred during organized sports, with 39% of children (with an average age of 15) dying to a fatal blow even in the presence of protective gear.

I would imagine is relevant to martial arts in general and to the teaching of martial arts to youngers in particular. Please comment.

The original article is here.
    Not surprising. I was KTFO during football practice one time by a blow to the chest (running back caught me at a bad angle and my chest was completely exposed to his rushing helmet). The coaches were freaked out and thought I was seriously screwed.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 4:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search up 'commotio cordis.' I've posted about it here before.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast