Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 7:35am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Wildwills ---

It has already been established that Dr. Gyi is full of tall tales, mistruths and BS stories. The unfortunate part is that due to these stories he has alienated himself from many excellent martial artists who have since distanced themselves from him. However these same people who have distanced themselvs have enough character and integrity not to come out and publicy bash a man who has made contributions to the martial arts world regardless of his mouth and the words that come out of it. There's nothing to gain from it. He's an old man and if the haters will just hang on a few more years they can all dance on his grave.

Sam, perhaps an IP address check is in order as well. This is beginning to sound familiar.

Red Elvis,

True...the false military service claims have pretty much already been proven. I'm more interested in people's dealing with the American Bando Association and Dr. Gyi personally, like actual training. Please refer back to my initial post. If I was not clear enough with my question...then my apologies. False military exaggerations does not constitute bad kickboxing and martial art technique. Nor do I want this thread to turn into some sort of "flame war".

Internet searches I conducted on Sunday pretty much revealed only information pertaining to Dr. Gyi's military service and little on the American Bando Assoc. For an Assoc. that's been around for 35 years you would think that there would be more information more readily available. But that too doesn't constitute Bullshido per say...it means no one in the American Bando Assoc. has taken the time to construct a public website.

An IP check will reveal that I am located at WPAFB, Dayton, OH with the 554th Electronic Systems Group.
    Last edited by wildwills; 11/14/2006 7:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2006 7:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    If you search--"SEARCH FUNCTION NEWBIE!!!"--you will see that this issue with the Dog Brothers exploded about a month ago when someone from the PowNet came on rather like an asshole trying to go after the Dog Brothers because of this.

Fun reading, but the guy was nuts and

Liked to play with Fonts and location.

If you disagreed with him you hate the military.

--J.D.
    Doc X...I honestly tried a search, but I probably only did a title search and didn't see anything in the results between the Dog Bros and Dr. Gyi. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2006 1:16am

Style: Bando

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being someone who holds rank in the system and has trained for three years in the system,I can say without a doubt that Bando is not bullshido. Bando is a well rounded system that is very complex and simple at the same time. Whatever your looking to train in you can find it in Bando, from grappling to Bama Lethwei (AKA Thai Boxing) to 9 Animal systems. As for Dr.Gyi I really wish he wouldn't make such claims becauses all they do is reflect badly on the system itself,as for what is true and what is not true about his past, its a blurred line. My instructor who is a Fifth level in the system has said that Dr. Gyi Is a good Instructor with a wealth of knowledge to offer but he brings alot of stuff on himself with the claims he makes. So to make a long post short, Bando not bullshido.(not trying to get on a soap box just defending my art) :XXknight: :happy: :wav:

Also, I'm just happy to find some people who know what Bando Is, most people think I'm doing body work on a car when I tell them I train in Bando.:icon_bigg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 9:37pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Being someone who holds rank in the system and has trained for three years in the system,I can say without a doubt that Bando is not bullshido. Bando is a well rounded system that is very complex and simple at the same time. Whatever your looking to train in you can find it in Bando, from grappling to Bama Lethwei (AKA Thai Boxing) to 9 Animal systems. As for Dr.Gyi I really wish he wouldn't make such claims becauses all they do is reflect badly on the system itself,as for what is true and what is not true about his past, its a blurred line. My instructor who is a Fifth level in the system has said that Dr. Gyi Is a good Instructor with a wealth of knowledge to offer but he brings alot of stuff on himself with the claims he makes. So to make a long post short, Bando not bullshido.(not trying to get on a soap box just defending my art) :XXknight: :happy: :wav:

Also, I'm just happy to find some people who know what Bando Is, most people think I'm doing body work on a car when I tell them I train in Bando.:icon_bigg

Do you mean you hold a black belt in bando? If so, I thought you had to be in bando for at least 5 years before you could get a black belt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 10:49pm

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied with Mr Gyi and Co. when he taught at Ohio University. It was only for about 9 months, cause, well, I basically flunked out;) and this was the 1990 time frame.

I cannot make claim to his past stuff, he never talked about it and it never came up.

As far as the system and his instruction, I was quite impressed with both and even to this day, I wish I was able to have more experience in this system.

EDIT: spelling grammar
    Last edited by dwhomp; 4/03/2007 10:58pm at .

Posted On:
    4/04/2007 12:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranoutofsn
    Do you mean you hold a black belt in bando? If so, I thought you had to be in bando for at least 5 years before you could get a black belt?
    Whatever claims are made by the founder, IMO the quality control is/has been there. Bando guys around Maryland could fight, and long before MMA and other such venues gave everyone a chance, Bando guys were fighting hard matches. In Baltimore the art had street cred... I remember the guys I saw looked almost insanely aggressive! it almost seems to me, and this is just my own perception, that Bando was on the scene before Thai stuff and somehow through a mistaken association with Thai stuff got usurped?

The practicioners seemed compitant with weapons also.

Whatever hyperbole, mythology or other such exxagerations permiate an art it speaks volumes when an art can maintain quality control for over 3 decades. And... again, IMO if the Dog Brothers like it I take that assertion as an affirmation that the art has survived crass commercialization, Mcdojoism and internal implosion.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123