Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:04pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maung Gyi and the American Bando Association

Just this past weekend (11 Nov 2006) I attended the Bando Nationals with my son to supprt and watch our MT fighters. Even Jorge Gurgel's Middletown, OH school had MT fighters there.

During the course of the tournament I heard mention of Dr. Maung Gyi numerous times. So, Sunday afternoon I decided to try and learn some more on Dr. Maung Gyi and the American Bando Association. What I found wasn't so much Bullshido on Bando but some pretty disparaging remarks on Maung Gyi's military service claims.

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies117.htm
    http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies33.htm
    http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies156.htm
    http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies40.htm

Now I don't know Maung Gyi from a hole in the ground and never heard of Bando before attending the tournament and doing an internet search afterwards. I started wondering if fraudulent military service claims would be considered Bullshido by Bullshido.com itself.

Now I just separated from the USAF after 9 years, 9 months of AD. I found it slightly insulting that the American Bando Association would hold it's annual tournament on Veteran's Day when their founder is accused and supposedly proven to have made fraudulent military service claims.

So my questions to the experts here on Bullshido:

Is the American Bando Association Bullshido?

Does anyone have any personal experience with the American Bando Association and Dr. Maung Gyi that could shed further insight on his military service claims?

Thank You
    Mike Wills

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:27pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The American Bano Association itself is probably not Bullshido but they have made a serious lapse of judgment if they continue to publicize, ie support the military claims of their founder.

Secondly Gyi would be considered Bullshido for these claims which are used in advertisements to establish and burnish his credibility. In my limited experience with the POW Network I have found them to be reliable.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say lying about military service in itself is bullshido, but it does set off major alarm bells, liars rarely stick to just the one porky.

It's also very disrespectful to the people who really have served in the armed forces, you don't have to be military to know that.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:36pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its bullshido because he uses it to enhance the credibility of the martial arts he teaches. "When I was fighting with the Gurkas during WWII . . ."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    The American Bano Association itself is probably not Bullshido but they have made a serious lapse of judgment if they continue to publicize, ie support the military claims of their founder.

Secondly Gyi would be considered Bullshido for these claims which are used in advertisements to establish and burnish his credibility. In my limited experience with the POW Network I have found them to be reliable.
    We got to to see some pretty good kickboxing though. Defintiely worth $10. Even the ladies threw some leather.

The rules as explained to me were No elbow or knee stikes. The only leg kicks were above the knee and only on the outide of the leg (read No innside leg kicks). Back fists and spinning backfists allowed, as well as other kicks besides roundhouses (i.e. front licks, wheel kicks, spiing side kicks, etc.)

So, it was pretty much like American Kickboxing with outside leg-kicks permitted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its bullshido because he uses it to enhance the credibility of the martial arts he teaches. "When I was fighting with the Gurkas during WWII . . ."
    There too, the American Bando Association was celebrating it's 35th anniversary. Not sure it that was just a gimmick, but apparently they hold their annual national tournament on Veteran's Day every year.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

-This is a good summary.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 1:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah my bad, good point.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 1:25pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems alot these guys who make up false military claims are into martial arts (or claim to be).

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 1:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sort of all follows. Most people grant respect to veterans, particularly those with "war stories." Those who want to believe in the dream of t3h d34dly, will eagerly believe that Sifu/Sensei/Professor was an actual "warrior."

The same type of person who would make up such claims would make up lineage in the martial arts just as quickly. MA lineage is harder to verify. You really cannot claim to have served under "some Colonel" in "some jungle" where you fought "many enemies" with the military.

Unless . . . of course . . . you were "black OPS" and not allowed to mention it . . . which is why, for some reason, you are mentioning it!!

--J.D.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast