Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 9:28am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dojo Tetsu Ryu (Iron Dragon Training Hall)

Found something interesting.
    Did a search and as far as I can tell this hasn't been talked about before.

www.dojotetsuryu.com/

From the instructors page:

Instructors
    Chief Instructor Sean R. Rackley
    Renshi (Instructor) Rackley started studying martial arts at the age of four with his father Gordon Rackley. Gordon Rackley was a scholar, collegiate level health professor and martial arts instructor, whose roots extend to early military and law enforcement. He was an expert in Kenjutsu (the art of the sword), as well as various schools of Judo, Jujutsu and Ninjutsu.

Renshi Rackley often benefited from his father's knowledge of human anatomy in his martial studies. He practiced both armed and unarmed techniques on a daily basis, often waking up at five o’clock in the morning to run and work on conditioning. After school he would return home and continue his training. Training was always strict and of a serious nature. It was conducted outside most of the year, regardless of weather conditions. He was often pushed to the point of exhaustion. He was expected to train a minimum of four to five hours a day during the summer and two to three hours a day during the school year.

At age nine, he began to study Tetsu Ryu Ninjutsu under the instruction of Soke Hitoshi Takeyama who was the 23rd head of the Takeyama Ryu system of Ninjutsu, which was renamed four generations prior, when other systems were incorporated with the Takeyama system of Ninjutsu. The result of which was Tetsu Ryu (Iron Dragon) Ninjutsu.

At age fifteen, Renshi Rackley began to study Aiki-Jujutsu and Aikido. With his knowledge of the human anatomy, taught to him by his father and Soke Takeyama he began his studies in reflexology, massage therapy and Japanese medicine hoping to gain a better understanding of the workings of the human anatomy. At age seventeen, Renshi Rackley began training in addition to his other students, off duty military and law enforcement personnel. It was also at this time that he received permission to open the Dojo Tetsu Ryu (Iron Dragon Training Hall).

Renshi Rackley has over 20 years of experience in the martial arts. He currently holds a Yon Dan (4th Degree Black Belt) in Tetsu Ryu Ninjutsu as well as a Ni Dan (2nd Degree Black Belt) in Nihon Jujutsu and Judo. Renshi Rackley is a Founding Council Member of the International Combat Martial Arts Society (I.C.M.A.S) and an Associate Member of the International Counter Terrorism Officers Association (I.C.T.O.A). He has undergone training in special weapons tactics, urban combat and warfare, surveillance, counter surveillance, stress management and threat assessment.
    Some questionable stuff here. However they do have a Genbukan link on the links page....
    Anyway, I haven't e-mailed the instructor or anything, just putting the info up for a possible
    inquery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 9:31am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At age seventeen, Renshi Rackley began training in addition to his other students, off duty military and law enforcement personnel. It was also at this time that he received permission to open the Dojo Tetsu Ryu (Iron Dragon Training Hall).
    So this guy was "Allowed" to open his own school when he was only 17?

Bs meter moving to the red zone......

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 9:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found this on the About Us page:

The difference between a soldier and a warrior is, a soldier would kill an enemy’s child in the heat of battle in fear of that child being an enemy in the future.

A warrior, on the other hand, would run across a burning battlefield to save an enemy’s child in hopes of that child becoming a friend in the future.

As warriors, we are not meant to be killers or the bringers of sufferance. We are trained to be protectors and servants to the moral codes of Bushido and Ninpo and keep close to ourselves our duties.

Within the heart of a warrior lies the path of compassion.

Renshi Sean R. Rackley
    Notice the bold part. What an educated opinion.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fairly standard stuff, doesn't strike me as terrible, but also not terribly believable.

My first question is: What is "early law enforcement?" It sounds like bullshit.

EDIT: JNP found a gem there . . . . what is it that makes these idiots think they can redefine words to mean anything they want? WTF?
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 4/03/2007 10:37am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 11:17am

Style: BJJ, Debate-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jnp:

By posting that quote, you have permanently damaged me. You can expect my law-ninjas at your door shortly. The following post is a part of my therapy:

The difference between a soldier and a warrior is, a soldier would kill an enemy’s child in the heat of battle in fear of that child being an enemy in the future.
    Let's leave aside the grammar issues for a moment. This statement is a cognitive catastrophe on several levels:

1) It implies that the terms "soldier" and "warrior" are mutually exclusive and clearly delineable.

2) It implies that the currently accepted definitions of these terms are wrong (hence: "the difference," rather than "among the differences").

3) It actually defines soldiers as sociopathic child-killers.

4) It implies that Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun were "soldiers."

A warrior, on the other hand, would run across a burning battlefield to save an enemy’s child in hopes of that child becoming a friend in the future.
    I'm not sure if this statement is more or less absurd than the last. It's that close a race.

5) This statement defines warriors as idiots who will abandon their posts and jeopardize the lives of many of their comrades to save a single noncombatant.

6) Apparently Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun were not "warriors."

As warriors, we are not meant to be killers or the bringers of sufferance.
    7) The use of the term "we" implies that this man thinks himself a "warrior." By his own definition of that term, the only way he would know is if he had, in combat, run across a burning battlefield to save an enemy child. I'm reasonably sure he hasn't done that. I'm also more than reasonably sure that he's a fuckwad.

8) Apparently "warriors" also don't kill people, because if you do kill people, you're a killer, and "warriors" aren't meant to be killers. Man, who'd have thought that I was the ultimate warrior back when I was a bleeding-heart pacifist? Moreover, the "not a killer" idiocy could be easily fixed by replacing "killer" with "murderer" in each case. "Murderer" is not only more accurate, it's also a stronger and more rhetorically powerful term. Which means he's a ****-tastic writer on top of being a first-rate chucklenuts.

9) "Sufferance." Really? This term has not meant "suffering" since before anyone currently alive was born. This would not be a reason to mock him--sometimes it's cool to use archaic words--but for two things that make it completely fucktarded. First, the word has a modern meaning: submissive acceptance of an ongoing condition and/or willingness to endure pain or hardship. Second, there is another word available with the exact meaning he's looking for. The word is "suffering." This is the kind of dipshit who thinks writing "utilize" when he could write "use" makes him a good writer.

We are trained to be protectors and servants to the moral codes of Bushido and Ninpo and keep close to ourselves our duties.
    10) Because samurai have never done anything morally questionable.

Within the heart of a warrior lies the path of compassion.
    11) I think I've heard this before. From a fortune cookie.

12) "Heart of a warrior" is about the most hackneyed phrase imaginable.

13) What is the purpose of the words "the path of"? Is it, as I suspect, that the author thought "hey, no one will think I have 'teh r341 Eastern wisdom' if I don't put something about a 'path' in there"?

It's like everything I've ever hated about MA plus everything I've ever hated about awful writing. And it's worse, not better, that he's marginally coherent; you know he thinks he's being profound.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 1:58pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't speak Japanese. "Testu ryû" does not mean iron dragon. It's just putting the words for "iron" and "dragon" next to each other, without any indication that iron modifies dragon.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Done a bit of digging and found the school listed here:

www.icmaua.com/AffiliateOrganizations.htm

And the homepage of the above is here:

www.icmaua.com/

From the 'ICMAU Philosophy' page:

We are united to the World.

All the Martial Arts are united.

All the Martial Arts are Combat.

All the Martial Artists are Combat Masters.

Combat Martial Arts Masters are independent.

Combat Martial Arts Masters study other Combat Martial Arts.

Combat Martial Arts Masters have to develop.

Combat Martial Arts have to develop.

We are united to the World

We live in this wonderful World and we are a part of it. That is why we are united to everything that exists in this World. That is why we should live not inflicting harm to this World. We try to live doing Good. We are trying to reduce the amount of evil in this World. In order to do that we study Martial Arts and do Good. This is our Way: the Way of Martial Arts and Good. The ICMAUA is for those who seeks following this Way.

All the Martial Arts are united

If we consider the history of any traditional or modern Martial Art, we will find its connection to other Martial Arts or kinds of sports. Before founding his own Martial Art the Master learned from other masters, other styles, read manuals and books about other Martial Arts. If it happened nowadays, he watched video, CDs, attended seminars, competitions, took part in fights. All that, either he realized it or not, influenced his views on the Martial Arts. That is why all the Martial Arts share some similar techniques, principles, strategies, tactics, philosophy. They share common roots from the past and can join together into a new Martial Art in the future. ICMAUA believes that all the Martial Arts are united.

All the Martial Arts are Combat

Philosophical systems of oriental origin assert, that it is possible to reach the harmonic development of spirit, body and mind being engaged in whatever you like. You can write poems, cook fish, sell petrol, study Martial Arts. The main thing is to do that with full self-return. Then, one of the meanings of the word Kung-fu is a time spent, the synonym of the words skill, mastership. They say that if a cook is skilful his Kung-fu is good. Every Martial Art differs from another one mostly in Combat: the possibility of using it for self-defense or attack. Nowadays, and that is the right way, a lot of Martial Arts schools and movements turned into the kinds of sports, health improving or purely applied systems. That is good, everyone can find in Martial Arts everything he needs: victory in sports, health and the possibility of self-defense. With it all ICMAUA believes that every Martial Art should keep the aspect of self-defense and should be a Combat Martial Art. Combat: being able to be used in fighting, and Martial Art: able to develop spirit, mind and body.

All Martial Artists are Combat Masters

After many years of trainings in Martial Arts a beginner becomes a Master. When does it happen: in one training, in twenty or ten thousand trainings? No, it doesn’t depend on the exact number of trainings, it depends on acquired Martial Arts skills. But what defines skills and Mastery? Is it a number of mastered techniques? They are checked at the exams in a kind of forms, sparring or breaking things. But there are such Martial Arts schools which have lots of forms, but there are also schools which have no forms. Are the representatives of the first school better Masters than those of another one?

In order to be the Black belt and Master in ICMAUA it is not necessary to know all technique of the style. It is much more important to be able to use it in real fight. The most part of Masters, in case they are not the founders of the style, do not know all the variants of all the technique of their style and it is normal. Because every Combat Martial Art is inexhaustible. The Legendary Master Choki Motobu from Okinawa according to contemporary evidence practiced only one Kata Naifanchi. But he was a great fighter and a real Combat Martial Arts Great Master. You can know only one block, one kick and one stance of your style. But if you know and perform them perfectly, in a way your block will beat off any attack, and your kick is absolutely imparriable, then you will be a winner in any combat. This means that you are a real Master and deserved Black belt of the style. Quality is valued higher than quantity in ICMAUA.

Combat Martial Arts Masters are independent

The Martial Artist always thinks how to improve his Mastery. But thinking is always independent. That is why the Martial Artist is also always independent. ICMAUA admits the rights of all Martial Artists to be independent.

Combat Martial Arts Masters study other Martial Arts

Aspiration to development and perfection makes the Master compare his Art with other Masters, schools and styles. It can be a simple introduction to other styles at the competition, on video, in the book. If the Master got interested in another style, he starts studying this style or separate techniques of this style. The most part of ancient and modern Masters practiced several styles or Martial Arts schools. As all the Combat Martial Arts are united, then a part of physical, philosophic, psychological principles and fighting techniques are common or close. The common ones are: the skills of concentrating the consciousness, relaxing, using the weight of the body, the state of your psychics. That is why it is simpler to acquire a new style exactly for Master not a beginner. His progress in the new style will be faster. ICMAUA considers the studies of other Martial Arts to be important for the development of the Martial Artist.

Combat Martial Arts Masters have to develop.

The Master can be a real Master only in case he is constantly developing. That is why today he performs the throw differently, not like it was yesterday, but tomorrow not like today. So, contemporary Masters of the Aikido Founder Grand Master Morihei Ueshiba remembered, that his yesterdays recommendations of the technique performance always differed from todays ones. Karate Shotokan Founder Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi at the venerable age said, that he had only then understood what was the proper way of blowing with a fist. ICMAUA asserts that the Master should always change and develop. ICMAUA supports the development of Martial Arts Masters.

Combat Martial Arts have to develop.

Every Martial Art is being developed. There are no Martial Arts which had not been altered since their appeared. These changes can be more or less significant. If the name of the style then remains the same, we say that it is developing. If the name is changed, we see the appearance of a new Martial Arts school or a new Martial Arts style. All the Martial Arts were created by their Founders. Then the Founder, usually after the careful studies of one or several Martial Arts, their comparison, synthesis and change, announced the creation of his own style or Martial Arts school. All the Martial Arts were created in such a way. ICMAUA assumes, that the Founder is to define the requirements of his school or style by himself. ICMAUA supports the development of the Martial Arts.
    So it's interesting to say the least.
    (Still haven't sent an e-mail to the instructor)

Where to go from here?
    Is this material for an investigation?
    Will an administrator take the ball and run with it, or how does it usually work?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 4:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep digging for discrepancies and keep looking for other links.

E-mail the instructor but, be reasonable. Don't go off on how it isn't this or that just ask legit questions.

Who were his teachers?
    How long has he studied Martial Arts?
    How many years in this art?
    What Ryu is it?
    Is it an amalgam?
    Who recognizes his affiliations/organizations?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sent the following e-mail:

MR Rackley,

Good afternoon. I came across your website while browsing the internet. Your martial art looks very interesting and I was wondering if you had the time to answer a few questions for me that weren’t addressed on your FAQ page?
    On the instructors page, for your bio it says you learned from your father who was a kenjutsu expert, which ryu did he study from? Was it a koryu sword school? Also what branch of the military did your father serve in? As you can tell from my e-mail address I am in the military, so I was just curious. Which style of Jujutsu did your father study? Who was his teacher? Where did he learn at? Did he study kodokan Judo? Your teacher in ninjutsu, Soke Hitoshi Takeyama, where did he learn his ninjutsu from? It states that Takeyama Ninjutsu was merged with several other styles of ninjutsu, do you know which ones? It states you have trained the military off duty and law enforcement personnel, which branches have you trained and what law enforcement community specifically? Finally what type of special weapons tactics, urban combat warfare, surveillance, counter-surveillance, and threat assessment training have you specifically received? Where did you learn them from?

Thank you for your time in answering my many questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    I will post again if and when I get a reply.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2007 5:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The tone was good but, way to many questions. Personally, I would've developed a small correspondence.

Ask a few questions then wait for a reply. Ask a few more until he balks.

When he balks then send him an email with this thread link.

Sorry, I should have had you PM the e-mail before you sent it off.

If he does reply it may be quite negative because, there are so many questions. Still try to be cordial and press him for specific teachers and military records.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast