Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: 'nuther newb

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks people. I'll probably get my cardio by walking/jogging to wherever my school and/or work place will be, because I freakin' dread learning to drive, having to buy a car, paying for gas, etc. even though my mom thinks it's some kinda necessity.

As I've said, I won't be joining a school until I have a part-time job to help pay for it, but the one I've had in mind for a while is this:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~martialarts/index.html
    The website really convinces me that it's the best school in my area, out of the... roughly 4 schools in my area. The only other that has a website seems to be affiliated with XMA, and I've picked up on general views that XMA is lame (please correct me on this if I've misinterpreted peoples' postings.)

Also, on this page: http://www.mindspring.com/~martialarts/events.html There seems to be a photo of Mr. Baker hanging out with Royce Gracie at the bottom. Anyone think that's a real photo, or photoshopped or what?

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is. people who are of legal age and dont have a license really **** me off. if you have the means to get one then definitely get one, even if you dont have a car. you never know when you will need to know how to drive.

i hope you are only going to that school for the BJJ

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's so bad about practical Karate? Could it possibly be any less worth it than sport TKD? I really want an answer to that. Because I will probably start in the Karate classes if I go there, and if I like how the Karate is taught (which would require it to not be easy,) I'll try cross-training in their BJJ classes.

Also, my mom's gonna force me to get a license no matter what, but she can't make me get a car. >D
    (would also still like an answer to the photo thing...)

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if it isnt kyokushin or one of its offshoots, its probably crap karate. go find a boxing gym.

no reason why they would photoshop it, the gracies do everything they can to get their mugs plastered anywhere they can. good for business.
    Last edited by alex; 11/13/2006 2:46am at .

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply, Alex. This page gives a very brief "description" of the Karate taught there: http://www.mindspring.com/~martialarts/karate.html Doesn't mention any style in particular, but it's " / Kickboxing" if that has any possibility of helping anything. :D

Also, does BJJ teach effective stand-up striking? Forgive my n00bness.

Page 2 of 2 First 12