Thread: 'nuther newb

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

'nuther newb

Hello Bullshido!
    This is a good-looking forum community.

I don't really have much to say about myself, except that I'm a 16yo home-schooled male who is a bit chubby and has absolutely no training in the martial arts.
    I do have very much interest in the martial arts though, and I plan on getting into better shape so I can train in a school some day without feeling embarrassed due to my self-consciousness.

I probably won't post too often, but I will definitely read a lot.
    Cheers. =P

Also, I don't understand this smiley::gay: What's it supposed to mean?

Edited for typo... I think.
    Last edited by Plank; 11/11/2006 12:34pm at .

Style
    Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey...it's probably a better idea to start MA now, and it will help you get in shape in no time. One of my friends (well, sort of) from my old dojo used to whine that he couldn't do this or that because of his weight (I'm not by any means saying that your whining.) and therefore he never TRIED. He never lost any weight, in all the time I knew him. Martial Arts is a great way to get in shape if you're dedicated!

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Style
    Student Jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plank
    Also, I don't understand this smiley::gay: What's it supposed to mean?
    The smiley is representative of rank progression in Wing Chun.

Welcome to Bullshido!
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    theres a couple of guys i know who are always working on getting in shape so they can join a boxing or muay thai club. every time i see them they tell me "yeah i just want to get a little fitter" or some other bullshit excuse. one of these guys has been using the line for a year and a bit now. you don't want to be one of those guys.

newsflash- no matter how long you spend getting in shape, your first MA lesson (in a decent school) you are going to look and feel like a complete klutz, you are going to have to be scraped off the floor at the end because your legs will no longer carry you, and nobody there will give a **** what you look like because guess what- it isnt a bar, nobody there is trying to pick you up for some dirty sex in the alleyway behind burger king, and the majority of them probably felt the same way before they started anyway.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you both for your informative posts. :D Perhaps I will look into martial arts training sooner than I expected, but I still feel I need to be comfortable with myself starting it, so I will probably try to lose just a bit of weight before I start. In a healthy way of course. <_<
    Last I checked I was about 5'9" and a little over 200 pounds. Unfortunately most of that isn't muscle (as far as I know,) but I've been working on my arms with dumbells regularly recently. They're somewhat disproportionately thin compared to the rest of my body, so I figure they're a good place to start.

That's probably more than enough about me for now... Thanks for the welcomes!

Late edit: You make a very good point, Alex. I reckon I'll start looking into schools as soon as I get a part-time job. Until then, it won't hurt to improve my eating and exercise habits. :) Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Plank; 11/11/2006 2:57pm at .

Style
    Rehab
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plank's a good username.

Welcome to Bullshido, start training please.

Style
    None. Again.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plank
    Thank you both for your informative posts. :D Perhaps I will look into martial arts training sooner than I expected, but I still feel I need to be comfortable with myself starting it, so I will probably try to lose just a bit of weight before I start. In a healthy way of course. <_<
    Last I checked I was about 5'9" and a little over 200 pounds. Unfortunately most of that isn't muscle (as far as I know,) but I've been working on my arms with dumbells regularly recently. They're somewhat disproportionately thin compared to the rest of my body, so I figure they're a good place to start.
    **** it, dude. Just start. There's a guy in my class that was 300+ pounds in June (about your height, too). He's lost over 50 pounds since then. He does judo, runs in the evenings he doesn't have judo, and just doesn't eat everything in front of him.

I've lost ~5 pounds in the month I've been doing judo and haven't changed my diet at all. I'm doing so now, and expect the weight to start dropping a lot faster soon.

So just start the fuckin' martial arts, dude. I had the same reservations you did. No reason to. Like the guy above said, you're gonna be a twit for a while no matter what.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I'm surprised it's such a simple username but not so common...
    I have recently been trying to strengthen my arms with dumbells, but I only do two exercises with them because I don't own a bench.
    Thanks in part to what everyone (especially Alex, good advice again) has said here, I have decided to start training in a school as soon as I get a part-time job to pay for it. 'Course I'd need to be able to walk to both the job and the school, since my family only owns one vehicle and mom uses it nearly every day for her job with constantly changing hours. I think I'm okay at walking though.

I already have a school in mind, that I will probably check first out of the three or so schools near my area, because it had the best-looking website. heh

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i get my cardio in by cycling an hour to training and back. even when i do have a car i still do it, cars make you lazy

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took me two months between deciding to pursue Kendo and actually taking my first class.

IMO, that was quite slow of me.

Plank, What you should do is, start researching which MA you want to pursue. When you figure out which one you like most, do some searching and see which schools are in your area. Post the schools here (post the websites if you can), and the people here will tell you if it's Bullshido/McDojo, or the real deal.

Other than that, all I can say is, do this ASAP. Develop conviction, and you'll get good at whichever Martial Art you want. It wont be an overnight process, and like the others have said, you'll probably look really inept compared to the students who have practiced for years, but that's completely normal. Get over any "embarassment" and practice hard.

Welcome :P

Page 1 of 2 12 Last