Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 12:15am

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The College of William and Mary Brazilian JJ and Mixed Martial Arts Club

We are college kids at a small elite college in Virginia. We have 45 dues paying members, about 8 girls. 5 of us have MMA fight records, and we are constantly calling out the other martial arts clubs. Why? Bc they suck and we can actually fight.

Many wrestled in HS. I am the prez and I have green in Judo and Sambo, and if I had to guess I would say I'm probably a shitty blue in BJJ. BUT!!!! We train hard and represent in local MMA shows.
    Last edited by sasquatch989; 11/11/2006 12:25am at .

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oddly enough, I know a guy at one of the other martial arts clubs (MAC, in fact, which offers training in karate, aikido and jujitsu through a sister dojo) at william and mary for some time, and he says that they aren't aware of ever being called out. They've been there for the last 40 years, in fact, and used to use the basement of blow hall. Back when blow was a rec center. Not has my friend in the tkd club ever heard of any callouts. I'm sure yall are good- I've seen you having fun on the wrestling clubs mats in the fencing room, in fact, so the facilities are excellent, and the fencing room is big, pretty well ventilated, and well lit.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 4:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just like to express how awesome it is that a tiny college like yours has a BJJ club. My college only has freaking Shao-lin Kung Fu and TKD :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2009 6:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Update

So yes, hkking, we have called them out many times. Via email and in person. I would have called them if I had their numbers. All of them. Every time they all offered the same excuse: we don't train like that, we train to have control in our punches; We don't do full contact. That your friend denies it is probably because: leadership changes from year to year so this year nobody has been called out, or they are in denial. Rest assured, I made it a point every semester that I was there to call out every single martial arts club minus kendo. The only players ballsy enough to show up were the wrestlers and the few kids I invited out of the Judo class when I subbed it for Robert every now and then.

Beeran, start your own. We were only BJJ till i came along and made it MMA. College clubs are amazingly flexible about things like that. The administrators thrive on student participation so whatever you do to make it happen, they will generally get out of your way.

I've updated the rankings as I am no longer there and can offer an outsiders POV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2009 6:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beeran1 View Post
    I would just like to express how awesome it is that a tiny college like yours has a BJJ club. My college only has freaking Shao-lin Kung Fu and TKD :(
    And at the time we were the ONLY college to have a sponsored, competing MMA club. Some schools had BJJ clubs, but nobody had an MMA club. That has changed now