Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMan
    I just watched a Antonio Margarito fight from 2005, and it was amazing. It's just things you cannot see in a MMA match. He timed and noted the distance on all of his opponent's punches. In the fourth round, he unleashed on his opponent, to the tune of scoring 130+ punches connected while his opponent was only hitting 40 - 50 punches a round. The fight got stopped because Antonio's punches were ripping off the guy's ear.

I haven't watched "The Contender", but everyone tells me the fights are more interesting because they keep the rounds down.
    Well one thing about the short rounds is that it seems to make the fighters get much sloppier, as they try to score as much as they can within the shorter time period so they get pretty wild. When you see the regular 5 round matches and then the 10 round matches at the end of the series, you see a big difference in the level of skill shown by the fighters.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember a few years back when they tried that 4 round championship bullshit with Butterbean as the "King of the 4 rounders"? That was wild flailing and sloppy technique galore..this is the problem with shorter fights. The fighters feel like they have to go for it all and the matches degenerate into tough man contests.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 5:08pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't stand the contender

Stupid, cheesy big band orchestral music, rediculous slow motion highlights of the fights, annoyingly blatant advertising... GRRRRR! No offence to anyone but it;s the stereotypical American TV show with all the dramatics

I downloaded the last few episodes and just watched the fights. I wish they'd just cut out a lot of the stuff at the house and just show the full 5 rounds. It's a shame as there are some great fighters and fights that get cut short unnecessarily.

For the MMA dislikers, i'd suggest watching the contract fights on series 1, 2 and 3 of The Ultimate Fighter as they've pretty much all been awesome. Only boring one was Diego Sanchez vs Kenny Florian in my opinion.

Stephan Bonnar Vs Forrest Griffin is easily one of the most exciting, electrifying fights i've ever seen in any discipline.

Also loved Luke Cummo Vs Joe Stevenson, Brad Imes Vs Rashad Evans, Ed Herman Vs Kendall Grove and Michael Bisping Vs Josh Haynes

Also watch the recent Rich Franklin Vs Anderson Silva fight, there's just so much variety.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 7:30pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got into MMA first, and then tried to watch some boxing. I love watching highlights of the boxing greats like Tyson and Ali. They were truly amazing at times, but when I just see some random boxing match on TV I think it's boring. It just seems so limited, although I'm sure I would like it more if I understood the intricacies of striking.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 11:14pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like boxing almost as much as I like mma, and I like mma alot. However I also like watching k-1 and muay thai (even though you cant really watch muay thai except for internet stuff) more than boxing.

Basically if you dont like grappling, takedowns, or dirty boxing. You probably wont like mma anymore than you would a boxing, kickboxing, or muay thai match.

I also think the fact that their is so many organizations hurts boxing. If you want to figure out who's really best you have to know about every organization.

Also the contender sucks. If i want to see a fight, I dont want to see the crowd's reaction every 2 seconds id rather just see the damn fighters fight. Also since when did boxing need a single theme song overlaying every fight over and over again.
    Last edited by Andrew L.; 11/11/2006 11:16pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the Contender, for all it's cheesieness, it still kept me entertained. I got into the drama of the disputes between each character on the show and the hype was exciting (though all the crap with showing their family and talking about how they had a hard life was a snore fest. Oh, you're a boxer who grew up in the ghetto?? No ****!)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 2:04am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to watch boxing when it's on, but I swear to God, fighters nowadays are more tentative than ever. In the 10 or so fights that I saw on MSG (local sports network) this month, every last one was a decision.

Just a random thought. If it's a choice between boxing on HBO and the other crap on Sunday Morning, boxing wins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 12:18pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch both and enjoy both. I don't always enjoy them, they can both be really boring at times. I generally watch more MMA than boxing, but lately I've been trying to watch more boxing.

I find, and this thread tends to support this observation, is that people who train to fight, enjoy watching what they train in because they understand the nuances of their particular sport than someone with less exposure to the game might. BJJers tend to get excited by watching someone work for a submission for what seems like an eternity for the layman because they get it. People who train in MT or Boxing realize that there is more to fight than "hit first".

Of course, if you watch enough fights, you begin to understand the nuances of the particular ruleset.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: "Watch more fights!"

However, I think that everyone here can agree that the last Sylvia\Arlovski fight was the single most boring fight ever.

Thank You.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 5:32pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is if you dont think grappling can be entertaining watch Penn vs. Hughes 2.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    other reason it isnt talked about as much is the vast amount of BJJ nutriders that inhabit this site who are too busy watching guys fondle each other to watch a good old fashioned beatdown :p
    old fashioned beatdown? i've yet to see a boxing match without at least one separation for holding per round. maybe i need to watch more (which is simply an issue of seeing that it's on tv), but i've never seen anything resembling an "old fashioned beatdown."

i understand why the rules are the way they are. i understand why there are rules against holding, why boxing gloves are the size they are, why the rounds are short and numerous, why there're the limits to the techniques that there are, and i can appreciate a boxing match as a boxing match... but it's still somewhat muted to me. standing eight counts just don't get my blood pumping.

the irony is that i may start boxing in the next year or so.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast