Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 6:55pm

Style: bee jay jay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    I don't know about you guys. But grappling is boring as hell to watch. When I watch two guys grappling on the ground I think:

"Stand the **** up and fight damn it"
    there was a time when I thought this way, then I learned what a real fight actually consisted of.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 6:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    more interesting to watch the 90% inaction that's common in so many MMA fights.

The fact that you think boxing strategy is limited to "hit other guy with fist" just goes to show you know nothing about boxing.
    I guess there's also the rope-a-dope strategy and let the other person hit you with fist until they get tired and then hit them.

I would rather watch a good exchange of submission holds any day.

Diego VS Karo or Diaz vs Diego or Herman Vs Groves were all great fights with amazing submission attempts, counters and sweeps.

Fan - Tastic!!!!

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would watch more boxing if the fights were 5 rounds maximum. Longer matches are boring, and I say the same of most vale tudo fights that go past 20 minutes.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 7:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who say boxing has no strategy have never seen a good counter puncher.
    カンフー

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 7:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing has strategy but it's all the same. There's only 2 things a boxer can do.
    Not get hit and hit with punches. yes with in that there is variety but MMA has that, plus kicks, take downs, ground and pound, and 2 types of submisisons - chockes or locks.

A lot more tools opens up a lot more strategic options.

I can't watch boxing now with out thinking "there's a good place for a shoot or a kick"

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    I would watch more boxing if the fights were 5 rounds maximum. Longer matches are boring, and I say the same of most vale tudo fights that go past 20 minutes.
    I have to agree with this, actually. I don't have the attention span to wanna watch a single match for 30-45 minutes.

On Goju's point, I simply do not think the "variety" of MMA makes it any more entertaining to watch. I do like watching Cro Cop pick people apart and smash them up in MMA, but not particularly much more than I did when he was doing the same thing with 10oz gloves. Maybe if I knew more about grappling I'd find MMA more interesting, but all the stalling and stalemating that goes on in MMA just makes it a snorefest to me.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 7:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 9:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula

On Goju's point, I simply do not think the "variety" of MMA makes it any more entertaining to watch. I do like watching Cro Cop pick people apart and smash them up in MMA, but not particularly much more than I did when he was doing the same thing with 10oz gloves. Maybe if I knew more about grappling I'd find MMA more interesting, but all the stalling and stalemating that goes on in MMA just makes it a snorefest to me.
    I prefer watching a well executed submission to a knock out, but it all really comes down to personal choice. Because I do grappling I find I can watch it and enjoy the skill involved in pulling of a nice sub.

Having said that I can totaly see why people would not enjoy watching it, especially between 2 well matched grapplers who can cancel each other out.

My favorite MMA match up is excellent striker vs excellent grappler with both having good skills in the other area like Hominick Vs Yves. That way it's a battle of who to see who will impose their will on the other.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you ask people who their favourite MMA fighter is and i would bet money that the majority of people will say something like cro cop, Lidell, silva, etc. why? because they are mostly stand up fighters and are inherently a fuckload more interesting to watch than some snore machine like ortiz or (insert gracie here). it isnt a case of knowing whats going on, i know enough to understand whats going on but this does not make it exciting, in the same way that i know whats happening in a muay thai clinch but it isnt the most exciting part of the style for me.

agree about the length though. 12 rounds is a long time and if neither fighter can KO the other than the last 3-5 rounds are almost always fucking boring no matter who is fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2006 11:50am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched a Antonio Margarito fight from 2005, and it was amazing. It's just things you cannot see in a MMA match. He timed and noted the distance on all of his opponent's punches. In the fourth round, he unleashed on his opponent, to the tune of scoring 130+ punches connected while his opponent was only hitting 40 - 50 punches a round. The fight got stopped because Antonio's punches were ripping off the guy's ear.

I haven't watched "The Contender", but everyone tells me the fights are more interesting because they keep the rounds down.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast