Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 4:46pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Umeň, Sweden. "Renyi Shootfighting/MMA."

In this review I will talk about the Shootfighting/MMA division of the Umeň based MA organisation called Renyi. Renyi also offers classes in Muay Tha´, wich share locals with the Shoot/MMA, and wushu, located in Olofsdalskolan. (A normal school.) My review covers the training offered in the Shoot/MMA section only, but I will mention the other sections where it is inevitable. This might lead to minor confusions I hope to be able to clarify.

Introduction:

Renyi Shoot/MMA is located in the vicinity of downtown Umeň, and relatively easy to find with proper directions. Its locals are situated in a basement, albeit a large basement. These locals are as aforementioned shared with Renyi Muay Tha´, although not at the same time.

Training:
    Instruction for novice and beginner students follows a relatively routine pattern. The first half hour of training is devoted to warmups, jogging, various forms of push/sit ups and other bodyweight exercises. Medium intensity clinch wrestling is also intertwined in warm ups, a typical routine being 10 minutes of jogging, 10 minutes of various exercises, and 10 minutes of short clinchwrestling with the short pauses generally involving more exercise for the "losers", wichever persons were lifted/taken down the most amongst the students.

After the warmups are finished, the remaining hour is used to drill various standup/ground grappling, such as double leg takedowns, armbars, sprawls and leglocks. Usually, a few rounds of groundfighting sparring are included towards the end of the class. The advanced students (read: Those that have trained for a more extended period of time.) follow a similar routine, but spar much more, and include standup and ground striking. The overall training atmosphere is very warm and friendly, with a genuine desire to improve present in the majority of students, and friendly and helpful intructors.

It is common practice in Renyi Shoot/MMA that the students learn striking in Renyis Muay Tha´ classes, thus striking is not instructed during the SHOOT/MMA classes, but only sparred to whatever degree the student is confortable with during the advanced classes. Thus, the training time labeled Shoot/MMA is used only for grappling instruction. For this reason, I rated Striking Instruction as N/A. Should a student wish to learn striking, adding 300 sek to the standard 900 sek/quarter (a period of three months, most if not all Swedish MA schools take payments by quarters.) allows him/her to train in the Tha´ classes. This "bonus option" is also available to any of the other two styles the Organisation teaches in. In brief, training in either Wushu, Muay Tha´ or Shoot/MMA costs 900 sek/quarter, and adding one of the other two styles costs 300 sek extra, bringing the quarter cost up to 1200 sek/quarter for 2 styles being taught by Renyi.

Locals:

The Shoot/MMA and Muay Tha´ local is as has already been mentioned situated in a basement, and has thus a slight tendency to become very damp and hot. 3 air purifiers are however installed, and there is no real bother worth mentioning. Mat space is quite acceptable, neither small nor overly large, but the L-shaped layout of the local reduces usable space somewhat. A standard size boxing ring is also present. Changing rooms are quite small, but there are many toilets available. The locals also contain a wide array of Tha´ pads, 4 punching bags and a weight room is under construction.

Overall:

The Renyi Martial Art organisation is one of the largest ones in Sweden, with students from all 3 divisions (Wushu, Muay Tha´, Shoot/MMA) having participated sucessfully in national and international events. The most recent event Renyi participated in was EVT Rebels, in wich Tor TroÚng ( http://www.europeanvaletudo.com/figh...?FighterID=142 )
    Won his match. ( http://www.europeanvaletudo.com/resu...petitionID=341 )

If one is looking to train MMA and compete in full contact events, Renyi Umeň is an excellent place to train. If you have any further questions, I hope I'll be able to answer them.
    Last edited by Backdraft; 1/22/2007 4:50pm at . Reason: Changed grappling rating.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/01/2006 2:20am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very well done!

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 11:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, thanks! I had almost forgotten I posted my review. I'm happy you like it.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/04/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit, I'm skeptical of a Shootfighting school getting a 10/10 for grappling, but good review nonetheless.

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 9:30am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been training, and what did you compare your training to to give it a 10 for grappling instruction? I train under a BJJ black belt who's a mundials champion at the black belt level and I wouldn't rate my grappling program as a 10.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/22/2007 9:33am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 4:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training since 9/5 2006. I have been thinking about reevaluating the grappling rating for a couple of days, just have'nt gotten around to it. We have had succes as a club in a couple of pretty big venues, so our grappling is'nt suck. I'll give it an 8, or a 7, maybe.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 6:23pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very good. Coming to the Central European TD?

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tonuzaba PM:ed me about a TD in Slovakia. If it's that one you mean, I'm sorry to say I can't attend. I'm still in school, for one thing. And then there's moving to a place of my own, and getting a job, and all that ****. The issue of NOOBness is also to be considered. In the future, I will try to attend a throwdown, but I think UK throwdowns would be easier for me.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 9:17am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems we're getting quite a few members from Denmark. Perhaps a Copenhagen or Malm÷ TD would be to consider this year.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 3:03pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    It seems we're getting quite a few members from Denmark. Perhaps a Copenhagen or Malm÷ TD would be to consider this year.
    I wouldn't be averse to a little trip to Denmark at some point...