Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 4:58pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    That's taken from a Dansih SW tournament. The man in black is BJJ Black Belt Joao Pedro Santos who runs the Choke academy. The whole ordeal caused plenty of controversy, with many people blaming JP for what happened. It was a real internet based **** fest with people arguing back and forth for a long time.

To me it seems as if the guy who got his arm broken simply had some prior issue with it though. I mean, we've all gotten our shoulders bent way too far at some point, and it doesn't just snap like that. JP was a class act after what happened too. He visited the guy in the hospital, gave him a ton of stuff and a life-time membership at his academy. It was just an accident.
    Exactly - JP (the guy who did the hold) was shocked and felt very bad about what happened, but both he and his opponent agreed that it wasn't JP's fault, it was a freak accident. When I watch this video I feel bad for both fighters. And agreed, JP is not blameworthy for the break because he didn't even have the lock fully extended when it happened... just a weak spot in the bone or something (apparently a completed Kimura causes a different looking injury than this anyhow?)

In my somewhat researched opinion, JP is no more guilty for this unfortunate accident than my sparring partner was for one of my ribs cracking under a normal mount last night - just a bone problem.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2006 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We actually practiced that same hold in class this week, and it is for sure a freak accident. My partner and I had our arms and way more extreme angles and for longer time with only the usual amount of pressure and discomfort.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 10:24pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some people just have less range of motion than others. If someone tried that on me, my arm would snap well before that guy's did.

Lesson 1: KEEP YOUR ARMS IN.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2006 11:30pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Some people just have less range of motion than others. If someone tried that on me, my arm would snap well before that guy's did.

Lesson 1: KEEP YOUR ARMS IN.

make sure your training partners know and let the referee know if you compete, nothing makes you feel worse than hurting someone like that

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosetherumfood
    jesus. I like how the guy just gets up and walks away while the other one is writhing in pain.

What kind of armbar was that?
    It looks like he puts his face in his hands as he gets up. Instant regret! Oh ****, I broke that dude's arm!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 8:13am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's nice that he made nice about it afterward, but it looks to me like he wasn't in a position to stop from extending the submission all the way through once he started.

I've been injured by black belts before, and I would never tell them to their face that it was their fault, because what would be the point? They'd already demonstrated they could damn near fucking kill me, so what am I gonna do? Tell them to **** off? To what end?

I had an instructor that did that, not to me, to some kid, busted his collar bone with a keylock, and he paid, tens of thousands of dollars to keep it out of court.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 11:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Villain is correct.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It snapped in the middle of his forearm. Freak accident. It is only the blackbelt's fault in that he was applying a submission.
    How the **** are you going to predict that a guy's arm is going to snap in a move youve done thousands of times with no real ill effect. If the guy had tapped and the JP guy kept cranking and shredded his shoulder that would be one thing, that's not the case though.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seemed to me it broke at the elbow, that's why I commented as I did. If it broke in the middle of the forearm, that's different.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/13/2006 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His arm is floppy just below the wrist.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast