and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which school? Show me the way.

Noble Inquisitors, I humbly submit (ha!) this for your consideration.

I have two options for training TEH GRAPPL3. Both seem very good which is why I need your help. My skill level is barely above zero. My training goals would be eventual bjj blue and enough skillz to allow me to survive an amature MMA match, both of which are far off.

Option A: Sucuri BJJ club
    BJJ under a purple that also has a high level BB (4th?) in Judo. about a third of the classes are no-gi sub grappling. Classes are 4x a week (i'd make 3x) with occasional Judo classes on the weekend. I've been doing this, and it's good, but seems more club-like than aimed at serious instruction. $55 a month.

Option B: Gracie JJ at my new striking gym.
    This would be under black belt Kimo Kreis who am told is world class. 100% pure bjj. Twice weekly. $30 a month (package deal with my striking classes).

My wallet would like me to go with B, but I would think A would be better for me - quantity over quality plus the no-gi and Judo. Can I get some opinions? Which would you choose? Why?

Thank you, and I await your judgements.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:09pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd probably take option A since I think that being able to roll often is more valuable - however, if you are not satisfied with the seriousness of option A then you may as well take B for the sake of your skill and your wallet. In other words, as myself I'd take A, if I were you I think I might be better off with B.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:09pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't do both? I pay more than that for my training.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Can't do both? I pay more than that for my training.
    When I hit the powerball jackpot. I gotta do my striking - KO power in both hands FTW. I'm dropping my boxing :ohyea7qh: but starting MT classes 3x a week so I'll only have the time/money for one set of grappling classes.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you Google "Sucuri bjj club" and "Kimo Kreis?" There's a lot of good information if you do. Kimo Kreis looks very well-trained, and $30 per month! Good grief. The only negative might be fewer students to roll with than at your present club. BTW somewhere in your post the issue of "loyalty" seems buried. If you've already bonded with the Sucuri bjj club students, it's gotta be hard to turn your back on them and just leave.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:36pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can find space and people to roll with outside of standard classes, I'd go with Kimo. I'd pick experience over instruction, but if you can get both . . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 2:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, this from Wikipedia on Relson Gracie, Kimo Kreis's teacher who gave him his black belt:

Relson Gracie is a retired professional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter and martial arts personality. He currently lives in Hawaii where he previously taught Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at his school in Honolulu. He has recently given up full time teaching at his gym in Hawaii in favor of nearly constant traveling to all of the schools in his association.

Relson is the second oldest son of Helio Gracie, legendary Brazilian Ju-Jitsu pioneer. He began learning the art of Gracie Ju-Jitsu at the age of two and competing at the age of ten. He went 22 years undefeated as the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu National Champion. He is one of the few people to hold an 8th degree black belt in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which gained from his father, Helio.

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 3:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    Did you Google "Sucuri bjj club" and "Kimo Kreis?" There's a lot of good information if you do. Kimo Kreis looks very well-trained, and $30 per month! Good grief. The only negative might be fewer students to roll with than at your present club. BTW somewhere in your post the issue of "loyalty" seems buried. If you've already bonded with the Sucuri bjj club students, it's gotta be hard to turn your back on them and just leave.
    yeah I can google. they're both good, damn good I think, just a question of which is better for a newb like me. Here's the sites if you want them.
    http://sucuribjj.com/link5.html
    http://www.focalpointwellness.com/services/martial-arts (some silliness, but i'm not there for tai-chi or kempo so)

Loyalty? Um.. why? I guess in addition to being a fattie that can't grapple I'm also a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    If you can find space and people to roll with outside of standard classes, I'd go with Kimo. I'd pick experience over instruction, but if you can get both . . .
    Almost certainly. So that's two votes for me to do B.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 4:09pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    Also, this from Wikipedia on Relson Gracie, Kimo Kreis's teacher who gave him his black belt:

Relson Gracie is a retired professional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter and martial arts personality. He currently lives in Hawaii where he previously taught Gracie Jiu-Jitsu at his school in Honolulu. He has recently given up full time teaching at his gym in Hawaii in favor of nearly constant traveling to all of the schools in his association.

Relson is the second oldest son of Helio Gracie, legendary Brazilian Ju-Jitsu pioneer. He began learning the art of Gracie Ju-Jitsu at the age of two and competing at the age of ten. He went 22 years undefeated as the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu National Champion. He is one of the few people to hold an 8th degree black belt in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which gained from his father, Helio.
    Also, as previously stated Relson is the coolest. Granted im a GJJ nutrider, but meeting him was a great experience. I'd go with Kimo and hope to get some extra rolling outside of twice a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 4:16pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I know Kimo. He is a great guy and very talented. He is a Relson Gracie black belt. He trained with my instructor Phil Cardella. Kimo is such a great guy, funny and friendly. Very easy going. I rolled with him and was given many great pointers. Go with Kimo man. :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast